Please help me, will I get through this

Posted , 9 users are following.

ive been on citalopram for eight weeks and even though I picked up I now feel like I’ve gone back. I’m on 20mg, I’m desperate I just can’t see a way out of this it’s like I’m living in a nightmare, I just don’t know if I should see if they’ll up the dose for me. Please help, has anyone out there got better on 20mg.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I take 10mg amd have done so for the past 4 months.. I have not seen much improvement so I going to go up to 10mg. I think you should try going up to 30 or take 25 by using a pill splitter. Citialopram has worked for thousands of people around the world so I would not give up just yet on it. Ask your GP for more advice.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, I’ve been on 20mg for five years but they took me off it last year and now I’m really struggling, I wish I’d never stopped taking it. It just seems to be taking a long time to work this time.
  • Posted

hi gem,, it toke gd 3 months to start seen improvements , but at the same time dont just wait for the pill to work u need to do some stuff yourslef , going for walks fresh air , i know is hard trust me been there , read books , camomile tea,,  have chat with family member or friends,, i wish u best luck on recovery...
    • Posted

Thank you Ben, I’m starting therapy on Tuesday, I’m really hoping that will help me. It’s just that when I wake up terrified I can’t see a way out, I feel so desperate. I just want to be me again
  • Posted

hi gemma I'm on 30mg I was on 40mg but after 1 year felt better and asked for it to be reduced but I had therapy too which helped a lot I'm 6ft 4 and 18 stone but cried my way through the first 2 sessions. it's just talking to a stranger who knows what questions to ask marks you feel a lot happier somehow?

remember it's not a race and take all the time you need as you will start seeing the light at the end of tunnel

• Posted

Thank you Andy, I’m hoping it will help. I wasn’t sure if I should up the dose of citalopram but it may be too soon so I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the therapy will help.
  • Posted

I was exactly the same but i stuck at it at 14 weeks im back to myself again x I had bad nausea for 9 weeks and just got so fed up with it but eventually it eased x I joined a gym and even go on my own which i wouldnt have thought i would be able to do x Stick at it you will.get better just have faith
  • Posted

Gemma,

I do not want to give you bad advice, but in your honest opinion do you think that your symptoms and side effects have gotten worse since you started? The reason I ask is because I've been where you are and was at the point of possibly checking myself into a hospital I was so low. I had kept listening to everyone's advice to stick it out that things would get better. But after a hitting an all time low and worrying about harming myself i made an appointment with my psychologist, psychiatrist, and had my GP on conference call. Through this they helped me realize that after 10 weeks I had gotten 10 times worse than when I began and that maybe citalopram was to blame. They said that if I had stayed the same or had had a couple rough weeks then started to bounce back they would say yeah stick it out but because after that long my anxiety was at an all time high and I was now extremely depressed which I had never experienced before I should probably change. That was the hardest decision to make, I was terrified and felt like I had wasted 2 and a half months. I left the appointment with a contract to not harm myself, and was pretty much being babysat by family things had gotten so bad but I agreed to make the med change. I am still going through the transition but can say I am already seeing amazing improvements. My story is just my story it may not be yours, do not make this decision without discussing with your healthcare team and having your family fully onboarding for support, but from reading your posts from the few past weeks it seems like you are really struggling and are worried about possibly harming yourself? If I had to guess when this all started you probably were not this bad? I am currently saying a prayer for God to show you mercy and give strength in whatever decision you make.

• Posted

Hi Gemma, what do you have? Anxiety or depression? I took Celexa from  last year for 8 weeks. I start on week two the people told me about side effects . They told me  the side effects is gone for two weeks. It’s true, but what I have I don’t fall sleep. So I stopped even now I didn’t take anything I still didn’t fall sleep. You should continue taking it. Some people there are right don’t give up. I don’t know if  you had insomnia too. A lot comment saying about this med. if you have insomnia then you take Celexa it makes your insomnia getting worse. Did everyone out there have any experience for taking Celexa and having sleep problems? Thanks! Good luck whoever has a problem like us. God bless! 
    • Posted

I take citalopram for anxiety, I was struggling with sleep and anxiety from coming off mirtazipine a few months back but now I’m worse than ever, I did have a few good weeks but the latest blip has really knocked me. I’m currently coming off a weeks worth of zoplicone which has helped me get some sleep but the doctors won’t allow me to take it any longer.
    • Posted

Hi Gemma, the Citalopram should help you for anxiety. If you take Citalopam and have a sleep problem that mean it makes your sleep getting worse, that my experience. That why I told my doctor and he told me stop. I should  stick with it . I think if you keep continue taking  it. The  benefit it comes like people has been told me before. Now it late for me to going back because I have really  serious insomnia. I take axanx and ambien they are working anymore for me. I can’t falling sleep that all. I don’t know how much longer I can handle this. You be okay just hanging in there if you not having a  sleep problem. If you have a little bit I think you should handle this. The benefits it will come. Tuts me! Don’t worry it take time like other people comment. I should listen to them. 
  • Posted

Hi Gemma!

?If you haven't felt any improvements at all after 8 weeks, I would consider either a dosage increase, or switch to a different med. It seems like if Citalopram would be a good fit for you, you'd feel at least a little better at times, even if the dosage is currently two low.

?I'm on 40 mg. of Cit, and have been for 5 years. It's worked wonders for me, other than this latest bout of anxiety. I'm hoping the anxiety will clear up on it's own without me having to switch meds, because I remember how horrible the start up effects were on Cit.

?

• Posted

Hi Kelly, You said you have been taking Cit for 5 year? Do you have sleeping problems before you start taking cit? I remember my old Dr. Tx gave it to me in 2013. When I moved to Nashville then I stopped taking and became having sleep problems again. I don’t have anything to on that time and I have only cit that I have. But I’m   refocused yo take it again. I don’t have a chance I went and for sleep it works for me. Then I move again in 2016. My insomnia getting worse and I think off this med it helping me to sleep. I don’t remember the name so I call my own Dr. in Tx. She told me it cit that she gaveit  to me. I went to my new Dr. told her about cit then she gave it to me. I was so.... happy  I think that I get what I want it for my sleeping. The first day told 20mg at night. Oh GMG. It toddy defense for what I take before. I take for to 8 weeks and my anxiety it comes I feel so good. Only thing I take it make my sleep getting worse. That why I quit taking. Can you Share your experience the first day you taking please! What happened?  when you start taking cit. I know people it deference but I believe who has on for long time like you. Thank you so much!! 
    • Posted

Iam trying to make sense of your post..but IAM having a big problem understanding your writing.??sorry but I would like to share experience with you ..but I cannot understand your writing..
    • Posted

Hi Lois, I’m sorry  for my  English! I asking Kelly about cit. She said , she used to take Citalopram for 5 year. I just want her to share with me. Anyway, thank you!  for your reply! 
    • Posted

I been taking cit for two years .my mom has been taking it for 20years..good Medication..but it takes a while to kick in as in months not weeks..
    • Posted

Hi Lois, Do you have sleeping problem before you start taking citalopram? I read about side effects , if you have insomnia then you taken citalopram it made your insomnia getting worse. 
    • Posted

Hi April!

?I did occasionally have insomnia before I went on Citalopram, but it wasn't often, and almost always due to a specific reason, such as being on vacation, starting a new job the next day, etc.

?I didn't have any insomnia right before I went on Citalopram. I was actually sleeping pretty great, despite having a lot of anxiety. An acquaintance of mine was also on Citalopram, and said it made her super sleepy, so she'd take it at night right before bed. Like a fool, I thought I'd try that, too, to try and avoid being sleepy all day. It backfired on me, big time. I had insomnia that night, and every night after for about 3 months. This was even after changing my dose to early in the morning. I also had a big dosage increase just one week after starting the medication, so I'm sure that didn't help matters much, either.

?After about 3 months, I was to the point where I could sleep at night without using any type of sleep aid. For the past five years, I've only very sporadically had to use a sleep aid to fall asleep, and just like before there was always a specific reason. I even went on a vacation or two where I didn't need to use a sleep aid even once, which is almost unheard of for me.

?Citalopram really has made my life better, up until recently.

• Posted

Yes ma'am I have always had sleep problem..but now my sleep better ..Al though I still take ziplocone..celexa does give you insomnia..so if you have insomnia sometime celexa make it's worst sometimes it fixed it ..

• Posted

Thank you Lois, I ask you because I used to taken citalopram in 2013 for my insomnia. I stopped because it doesn’t work for me. In 2014 I have sleeping problems again. I don’t have anything to take on that time for my sleep. My husband tell me to go take taken citalopram again it might help me, so I listen to him take cit 10 mg then it help me sleep. 2017 I has moved to a new home. I can’t find memes so I don’t care because my sleeping is better on that time . In 2017 in April my insomnia has came back. I when to tell my doctor about citalopram that used to taken before, he gave me citalopram back. I gave me 20 mg and taken on the first night it doesn’t help me sleep but, I keep taken until 8 weeks, then my sleeping getting worse and worse every night. I went back to see my doctor and tell him about that, he tell to stop taking citalopram and gave something else. I keep thinking if I stick with  it,  I think I will see improved with my sleep already. Now it to late to go back and taken again because my insomnia getting worse every day by day until now. I don’t have any patient. Thank so much for your sharing with me. It helping me a lot. I know my English is not good but I try my best to wrote it. Thanks! 
    • Posted

Ask your doctor for ziplocone ..until the celexa stabilize in your system...what different medication did your doctor give you??
    • Posted

Hi lois, He gave me Trazodone, when I taken it my stomach upset a lot. I stop taken Trazodone. He gave Mirtazapine it has a lot of side effects too, so I stop taken then he gave me Escitalopram this one is the same Citalopram it affects my sleeping too, so I stop taken, then he gave me Doxepin for two weeks  increase my appetite and a lot  dizziness  and upset stomach, so I stop taken. Now I’m taken axanx it helping me knock out but now it doesn’t work for me anymore. Also I taken ambien, the ambien doesn’t work for me nether. Past two weeks until today. I didn’t get any sleep.  I’m really exhausted can’t eat good either. I try not to take axanx for twos night. I take only Amitriptyline 80 mg for last night with ambien it help a little bit but I’m really tired and my body is  tingling and  dizziness ,  super dry mouth. I’m going back to see him on Friday but I don’t know  what else he going to give me try. Sound crazy right. Thank you so much for your sharing. 
    • Posted

Ask your doctor for Seroquel..that should help with sleep..it knocked me out...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.