Please help me with my Urticaria

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, I have suffered with urticaria for over 6 months now. Like most of you my rash appeared out of no where, after a couple of weeks and no change I took myself off to see my gp who diagnosed me with urticaria (not specifically which type) . My symptoms were a full body rash with each flare up lasting a few days then a couple days they were in remission then boom back to square one. My main struggle was having an active job (gardener) I would come home jump in the shower and before you know it the soles of my feet and my knees would blow up and become extremely painful to the point where I couldn't even walk therefore work. Also my during the night I'm waking up freezing but absolutely soaked from intense sweating.

I've tried all kinds of diets and cut certain things from my diet. I'm 25 years old and would say I'm a fit young man my diet however was pretty rubbish and I can't obviously see whats going on under the skin and in my gut.

When it all started I was 15stone and now after 6 months I weigh just under 12 stone and feel like a fading away. I think alot of the weight loss stems from been too scared to eat thinking I'll flare up 30 minutes after a meal so then more or less starving myself which has now got to the point where I dont want to loose any more weight but struggling to keep it on.

I recently watched a documentary on netflix called fat, sick and nearly dead. The fella in this suffered with numerous illnesses including urticaria. He went on a 30 day juice fast and he said it cleared up. I've started with the juices only 10 days ago whilst eating meals but still having flare ups. I dont want to go full juice fast as im sure by the end of the 30 days there will be nothing left of me.

I honeslty don't know where to start so any advise will be incredibly helpful.

Many thanks

Will

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi William have you tried a gluten free diet? I’m just about to try this myself as I’m noticing when I cut out dairy and gluten i get less hives. I have been tested for coeliac but it came back negative but I do notice a difference. But I do understand with the pain inside your body from the hives it’s so painful and stomach issues. It looks like you have tried so much and you don’t want to loose too much weight. Have the gp done blood tests with you loosing so much weight? And it sounds like you are really trying every thing possible. It also depends on what type of urticaria you have as the doctors always say just plain old urticaria as they don’t really know why or what. I have delayed pressure urticaria which you can be tested for with a pressure test. It maybe that with you being a gardener and you saying about your feet and being on them all day and also on you knees. When putting pressure on certain parts of my body even from carry heavy shopping bags of leaning on a surface too long can cause them to come up under the skin. I went for a 6 mike walk the other day just to exercise and couldn’t walk for two day as like you the soles of my feet was so painful. Try to push for the pressure test as then at least you know what type your dealing with. But yet again it’s all about controlling the illness not about curing it as they don’t have a cure. But if it’s affecting everyday life and you score high on the hives test they can give you xolair injections. They told me they are expensive so you need to fit the criteria which sounds like you do. I’ve had to wait a year of trying everything to start these on the 26th February. But I have read on here people have had amazing results so it can’t hurt. It’s the affect of this illness it has on our every day life which is so sad as there isn’t enough support for us. But this website has kept me going and speaking to people alike has really pulled me through some really down times. 
  • Posted

My main food triggers are the following:

Gluten

Eggs

Apples

Chocolate 

Most takeaway foods. 

I stared a low histamine diet about 3 weeks ago and I find it to be helping. My main diet now is fresh vegetables and freshly cooked meat. I also eat a lot of mango, pear and watermelon as I can tollerste these. I also found a gluten free bread that tastes reasonable. 

Do some research on low histamine foods and see how you go with that. I also cut out alcohol, soft drinks and most fruit juices. 

My hives aren’t completely into remission but they are manageable along with anti-histamines and steroids for emergencies. I find that taking 1 telfast in the morning and 2 Zyrtec at night help. Can I also suggest that you get blood tests done to rule out any autoimmune diseases/issues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.