Please help, need advice after bartholin gland cyst was drained

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

After dealing with a bartholin gland cyst for 2 weeks and it being extremely uncomfortable the past 3 days (the same time I had gotten my period), I went to a naturopathic doctor today who drained my cyst. She first numbed me with lidocaine and then inserted a large needle to drain the pus. A large amount came out. I felt a lot of it as I was not entirely numb, it pinched and almost felt like a bee sting on my vagina. I now have relief but am scared for the next process. I was advised to see my primary care for the removal of the sac as they were not surgeons and could not do this procedure. Is this the marsupilization that I have been reading about on this forum? What is the procedure? How much does it hurt? Are they removing the gland or just the capsule in which the cyst formed? Is there a chance of recurrence?

My doctor gave me probiotics and a tincture to build up my immunity. I'm praying none of us ever have to go through this again! Also, what are some ways you all have prevented another cyst from coming back? Did you make any changes in your sex life? My husband and I had not shaved in quite some time and I think this caused the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Never again! Please let me know if you have any advice for this next step

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So the fact that you did the office one and it only felt like a bee sing means you have an extremely high tolerance for pain hah. You won't have any problems with the surgery. The surgery is a removal of the entire cyst and drainage of it if it's absessed. Yes there is a chance of recurrence because your gland is still there. The Bartholin Cyst creates when your gland becomes blocked. So yes it can recur. But once they have removed the one entirely like that the chances go down to like 1%.

I had one done a month ago. I'm having sex again and so far I'm ok. I was a bit nervous and truly a bit uncomfortable down there when we would try. When I had my surgery I said I did not want the drainage tube in. So they put gauze in which falls out a few days later. Well what no one seems to tell you is you'll have a small but decent sized hole where the surgery was done. It's a closed hole...but still a hole, to which you need to make sure is always clean. As far as you not shaving, my doctor actually told me to do the opposite, she said try not shaving because the shaving could have irritated it. So I shave the top and get close but then just trim down there. No one truly knows exactly what is causing the cysts. To be perfectly honest I think it has to do with sex. I've a 3 of these now. I also no that during sex right now I can only move forward and backwards while on top of him. Not up and down. Lubricant is a must. You may need to buy some because some woman are no longer able to produce as much.

Ultimately it's a guessing game, so far you've been lucky with how your appointment went that it was only a bee sting feeling and I think you'll cruise through the surgery feeling fine in 2 days and having sex again after 14.

Good Lucksmile

• Posted

Hi Jc523,

I'm flattered you think I have a high pain tolerance when I do not lol. Paper cuts hurt me like no other and the pain I experienced on Tuesday has caused me such anxiety about this surgery that I called mine off. The doctor wanted to make an incision in the cyst without numbing me and then drain all the liquid out. I couldn't even imagine doing it because it seems so barbaric! Were you numb during your procedure? I want IV sedation because I can't imagine staying still as someone cuts my vagina!

I remember my husband rubbing me off after we had rough doggy style sex. He used his saliva as lubricant and he has an infected tooth. That along with not shaving down there for a while must have caused this cyst to occur. I wish there was more research on these. I also read if your good bacteria are off then it can also cause a cyst to occur since you aren't able to naturally cleanse your vagina.

The idea of a hole being there permanently is scary to me. I'm trying to get this thing to pop on its own. Any idea on the recovery after it pops on its own? Is there still a hole? Thank you for all your help and sharing this experience with all of us!

• Posted

My first cyst they made me let it go naturally. I could sleep, walk or sit, just lay there, my hips ended up bruised. After it drained, it immediately felt better! It closed and 2 days later my doctor couldn't even noticed it happened. The downfall to letting it go is its possible it didn't drain all the way...which leads to a real curing cyst. I got another about 2 months later. This time they did the "barbaric" thing lol (it is barbaric... never agree to it). In the office they put some numbing in...which hurts. On top of the pain your already in. Then slice it open to drain it. It hurts in my opinion more then anything you'll every expierance. I was screaming and crying like a baby and I thought I had a decent pain tolerance hah. So that one and my first one were both the size of golf balls. Then 1 month later I got another. Tried to do the barbaric thing but I was shaking and crying and was begging them please not to do it. So she sent me into the hospital two days later and had the marsupialization. They gave me the IV and I was out 5 min later. I told them I did not want to remember a single thing. I was traumatized about it already. I didn't do the drainage tube because it can cause more infection and it's uncomfortable. Some woman have issues with them. But I was feeling normal about 4 days later! I'm glad you called it off. I would just tell them. You want to be put out. If they won't do it then definitely get another doctor.

Are you able to walk and sit and do?

• Posted

Ugh, that makes me so mad! My "doctor" who I now know is a nurse, was telling me that according to her patients, the initial cut is an "ouch!" but then there is "immediate relief"... so much for that. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. Mine was also the size of a golf ball and it's now about the size of a small grape because they drained it, a little hard but not tender and I'm able to move around comfortably, sit, go to the restroom (this used to be super difficult for me as I couldn't apply any pressure down there as it would send a stinging sensation throughout my body). 

Is the marsupialization where they take out the entire bartholin gland? I keep getting confused with that and the gland surgery. Like, what is the difference? I'm so sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience sad Why does this have to happen? There needs to be more awareness about this because I feel like it could be prevented if we were educated about it! I'm surprised I've never heard about it until now, wouldn't this be a great topic to share during sexual education courses? 

I was advised to do sitz baths after it pops on it's own in order to encourage full drainage of the pus. Did you do this? Did you apply pressure on it to remove the pus when it burst on it's own? 

Thank you for the support and sharing! It feels really reassuring to know that someone is on my side smile 

• Posted

The marsupialization is the remove the cyst. Then there is a surgery that can be done to remove the gland. Most doctors won't remove the gland because they think it's an unnecessary surgery... excuse memail but it's BS. I noticed last night discomfort down there. It's swollen in the same spot again. I'm beyond p*ssed irritated and scared!

So the sitz bath is suppose to help hard tissue relax basically. Just like if your washing the dishes and your hands turn wrinkly ha same concept..to loosen the skin. I try taking baths but baths gross me out...your sitting in your own scum basically. And the sitz bath help but dont.... another example... when your burn your finger, you run it under water to help the pain.. but the min you pull your finger out it hurts again. So I take a lot of showers. My shower head detaches so I spray there on light. Has the same effect. I also change my underwear at least twice a day... just in case that was causing it.

As far as the drainage process, I was told not to touch it when it drains because your hands are basically never clean. And when it drained naturally it was over within 5 min. Youll be laying there in extreme pain and discomfort and all of a sudden a sense of relief and all of a sudden very wet down there. You need to be careful to clean up fast but to not move to fast or whipe. Just dab. I had bought white the shirts for my boyfriend that were still in the bag. I ended up using one to clean up because they were the most clean thing I had and there was no dye used in the shirt. That might not be necessary but its what I did.

I feel exactly the same as you. Trust me it infuriates me that this is not something that is taken more seriously. It's our sex life. Our reproduction that this is dealing with. I also have ovarian cysts constantly all the time and they are painfull but apparently nothing I can do about them. The doctors tell me the cysts have absolutely nothing to do with each other but here I sit today having ovarian cysts everyday. 3 Bartholine Cysts. One on its way and I've had a cyst on the back of my neck that was so deep I have a not wonderful looking scare/indentation on the back of my neck. I got onto this forum ton help woman dealing with the same as me because when i stasted getting them I couldn't find really anything regarding them.

• Posted

I have had 6 cysts drained and I'm terrified of ever doing it again. It has been the worst pain I've ever gone through. The shot, the cut, I've literally screamed. I've noticed that sex causes mine to get swollen, then I immediately take baths. I take a lot of baths because I'm that terrified of getting them (which I still do). The marsupalization usually has to do with leaving a catheter in there for weeks to have the cut heal around it so that there is a permanent opening to try an keep from them returning. I've never had one burst on its own, but each person is different. If you feel it come on again, do NOT have sex. Sadly, I'm one of the few that has repeated issues so hopefully you both never have it. I'm going in for surgery to remove the glands in 6 weeks and am very scared.
    • Posted

The marsupalization, how many of those did you have before you decided to do the gland removal? Who agreed to do the removal? I'm told I have to go to an oncologist. I'm sorry so many questions but your the first that says they're having the gland removed!
    • Posted

I *think* I've had 7 cysts/abcesses. That could be more. All but 1 (my first) had to be cut/drained. It's uncommon for someone to have as many as I've had (on both sides). I've had a catheter and every other type of healing. My gyneacologist also asked another doctor and they both think that it's best. At this point, as they contend, the gland is just too inflammed and prone to cysts, so I'll just keep getting them.
    • Posted

Hi, I have the same problem, I even lost count on how many times I've had the cyst. The last two times I did marsupialization and I just got the cyst back again. Did you have the surgery to remove the gland? Can you share your experience?
  • Posted

Hi everyone! I'm 29 and I had a bartholin abscess cyst recently as well. I had it drained 3/21/16 and they put a small balloon in me which is attached to a catheder. They did a small insertion on the inside of my lips on the right side (Sorry lots of TMI) I was told by the Doctor who did the procedure that that balloon should come out within 1-2weeks. When I went to my check up on 3/23/16 I had a lovely Intern who said it should come out within 1-4 weeks. I am nearing week 3 and I started my period yesterday. I am not using tampons but I am a little nervous as to if that can cause any type of infection with the "somewhat open wound" and blood being around it. The doctor int he ER told me the balloon will gradually decend and even come to a point to where I can just pull it out. The balloons feels like it's right by the hole (the slit they cut to drain the cyst also the slit where the catheder is hanging out of) I am nervous to try and take it out because as of yesterday it was still draining out the fluid. I have emailed my doctor a few times to set up and appointment to get a check up to make sure everything is healing fine. Does anyone know: How do I know for sure if the balloon and catheder are ready to come out? If I do take it out, can I get any type of infections with the open wound and me being on my period? Thank you in advance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.