Please help - odd behaviour Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking Citalopram for about two weeks and admittedly am very anti taking tablets and am anxious about taking them. I have been having severe reactions to those around me, such as swearing, hitting myself, calling my parents 'bitches' and singing/jumping up and down. It's usually when I get stressed about something, particularly should I/should I not take the tablets. I have NEVER acted like that before and it's happening every day. Is it psychological or is it a side effect of ramped up anxiety from Citalopram? Any ideas?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Omg have you talked to a shrink about this?
  • Posted

Sounds think it does have something to do with the Citalopram. I think you definitely need to contact your doctor as soon as possible and let them know what is happening. If you read the medication info that comes with the medicine it says to be on the look out for any unusual changes in behavior and to contact your doctor immediately if these take place so please do so.
  • Posted

I agree. Speak to your GP maybe you could try another med. They are the best to speak to though. Hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

Its not psychological - its the meds.  They usually heighten symptoms at the start and especially anxiety - and yes, some people do react like this to very high anxiety.  I know someone else you hit herself.  Don't worry - its not insanity xxx.

I had a similar reaction to my first medicine called Seroxat many years ago.  I had dreadful anger issues - It was like I had severe PMT all the time.  They switched me to Citalopram which suited me better and I was much calmer.  I suspect Citalopram doesn't suit you and you may find a different meds would be better.  There are many SSRI's our there and one doesn't suit all.

See your doctor to discuss the meds and swapping to a different type.  I've hear Escitalopram is milder than these.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate, sorry to go off topic but would like your opinion. I have been 7 weeks today. 7 days on 10mg and 20 MG for 6 weeks. I have not had a glimmer of improvement. Crazy morning anxiety that some days last until late afternoon. Weird headaches, unmotivated, tired and just feeling terribly unwell. Is this Typical? I am trying to stay strong and tough this out but such a struggle. I was prescribed for sudden onset anxiety which was driving my BP and Heart rate up to dangerous levels despite BP meds. So damn hard. Thx any advise much appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi Shane

Yes it is typical - it can feel like an age waiting for something to happen.  I think I started noticing things around 3-4 months, and it really can just creep up on you so don't really notice it.  Small things like you might feel a teensy bit not so anxious (but still feel anxious), sleep might improve a tiny bit, no so tired etc etc - all these little things start feeling better but you don't notice it.  Morning anxiety was the worst for me - even though things started happening I'd still wake every day in a dreadful state ...... but I then began to notice that my evenings were calmer.  This happened slowly, and then I'd feel calmer by the afternoon (though still woke with anxiety).  As more time went by my evenings started to feel normal - no anxiety, no thoughts etc (but still the anxiety came every morning).  I'd still get blips every so often which dragged me down each time, but they passed.  Eventually my mornings became normal which lasted all day, and then one day I woke up with no anxiety.  I still had the occasional blip even after then, but they'd become less intense.

So for me recovery crept up on me which took around 6 months in all.

So yes, 7 weeks is early-ish still, though you're well into the meds now.

I always say just persevere though it all, however bad it feels, however long it might seem.  If you felt the same as you do now at 6 months without any sign of anything happening at all, then I'd say review your meds.

Sometimes people feel on the verge of giving up when they suddenly turn a corner and start feeling its slightly easier.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. My mother keeps threatening to phone the 'mental hospital' and have me locked away lol! I wish I'd trusted myself and not gone on these in the first place. It was meant to reduce my anxiety. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

• Posted

They do reduce your anxiety, but first they increase it.  People need tablets for all kinds of things throughout life ie heart, epilepsy, diabetes, and taking these is no different.

My son went through this 3 years ago and he hurt himself too.  With our help, his doctor and the medicine he went on to make a completely recovery and is back to normal now.

There is nothing mental about this.  These are the reactions / side effects of extreme anxiety.  You can't help it at the moment, but you do need to speak to your doctor.

K x

• Posted

Sarah you don't have to stay on them as this may not be for you but must taper off slowly because they can cause withdrawal. You know yourself best. You mentioned you should have trusted yourself and not gone on the med. Take a look at your life and try an figure out what is making you anxiety prone. I believe that your anxiety is real but just like depression there are emotional causes and triggers. Learning coping strategies, start running if you can or take regular exercise to raise dopamine and oxytocin naturally, start taking probiotics, explore mindfulness and engage in talk therapy. Learn to set boundaries and how to say no. Your nervous system is dysregulated. High stress and environment are likely the cause. Maybe you've already done these things. Which led you to start the meds. There are few who escape side effects and many go on for a long while. Taking a pill doesn't fix life's problems. The meds dull your emotions so you can function. For adults (over 24) they work for 50% of those who try them. For young people it's much less. I don't know if you are getting counseling. It's not wise to be put on pills without talk theraphy. Talk to Dr. Tomorrow and be upfront and open. If they suggest to up your dose start low, go slow is what is recommended. Hope this gives some information which helps. Best, M

• Posted

Sarah you mentioned your parents. I'm thinking you are very young? Are you under 24? This sounds like it could be personality changes. If this is happening every day this is not normal and could be leading to an adverse event. This drug raises anxiety levels. You need to speak to your doctor right away. If you are hitting yourself this is not something that should continue. Should you have thoughts of hurting yourself remember they are only thoughts and don't have to be acted on. Were you made aware that people under 24 that 1 in 50 this drug causes suicidial ideation? And there is no way to tell who will be effected negatively. Please explan in detail what is going on to your Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.