Please Help! Possible thrush, resistant to treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I recently had a surgery in which I was using lots of antibiotics. A few weeks after my surgery, I had an allergic reaction to a lotion I had used and was given steroids as treatment. Almost a week after this, I noticed a white film forming on my tongue. After doing some research, I assumed it was thrush due to the fact that I was on steroids and antibiotics just before the incident. My doctor prescribed me Nystatin oral suspension, which I took for two weeks. This was completely ineffective, I noticed no difference in my thrush. Following this, my doctor prescribed Diflucan for two weeks. Similarly, the treatment did nothing to help clear my thrush. I even tried oil pulling with coconut oil and keeping a low-yeast/sugar diet, while eating lots of live-culture probiotic yogurt. None of these treatments had any effect. I've been using a copper tongue scraper every night to get rid of the yeast that forms on my tongue. What's weird is that rather than being white spots, my thrush is more of a white yellowish film that grows over my entire tongue, mostly in the back. I haven't noticed it anywhere else in my mouth, just my tongue. Just went to the doctor again yesterday and he did a blood test. My immune system is completely normal and no Diabetes. I haven't been tested for HIV, but I'm only 17 and haven't shared needles or had sex before, so I don't think It's very possible for me to have HIV. Doctor is sending me to an Infectious Disease Doctor to test for possible Lichen, but I don't think it's lichen because I can very easily scrape off the 'yeast' with my tongue scraper. Have any of you had a similar experience or know what this could possibly be, if not thrush. Thank you.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Does this white film gives you bad breath?
    • Posted

No, haven't noticed any difference in my breath at all.

• Posted

I had a thrush infection in my mouth after wisdom teeth surgery last year and I was prescribed nystatin and diflucan to remove the infection. This cleared out most of the thrush but I had to scrub my tongue with hydrogen peroxide to get all of the yeast to go away.  It sound like you have it rough, seeing as medication hasn’t helped your case. Maybe try salt water rinses everyday and scraping your tongue with hydrogen peroxide? If you use the peroxide, make sure to dilute it with water first. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.