Please help - really scared now...........

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Just need some more advice please – My doctor sent me to an alcohol withdrawal centre last week and I was assessed. I urgently want to stop drinking and they told me to have 2 bottles of wine a day until I got to see a counsellor who could do me a safe plan to cut down. The withdrawal centre hasn’t even got back to me I keep ringing and they promise they would ring back on Friday and again yesterday and no contact at all.

I phoned my Doctor today and he has prescribed me Librium and said its not ideal but I can reduce my alcohol intake dramatically to half a bottle of wine whilst taking Librium and wean off very slowly. But when I was at the centre last week they told me you can’t drink at all whilst taking Librium?

I am so so confused now – I really want to stop drinking as it makes me suicidal but I am absolutely terrified of the convulsions – I live alone and am really really scared of something bad happening to me.

How likely is it to have convulsions on the Librium without any alcohol – I don’t want to drink again mentally – I have hated every drop and the way it makes me feel since I told my Doctor everything last week and am forcing it down – 2/3 bottles of wine a night because I am so scared of the DTs.

I have been drinking 2/3 bottles of 10% wine daily for about 6 months x

Please help me – I just don’t know what to do?

Sara x

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sara. I hope by now that you have had some more help. I find it appalling that you have been left to cope alone and that a centre which is supposed to support people in your situation has turned out to be so unreliable.

I can understand why your doctor felt he needed to do something and I wouldn't be too critical of him. It is not advisable to drink while on Librium, but the two together are unlikely to cause a problem unless you have a very high dose of either Librium or alcohol. Could you tell me the dose of Librium you are on, send it to me in a private message if you prefer.

If you are on a suitable dose of Librium, you should not need to drink, but I suspect that your doctor will have been careful.

I wish I had seen this yesterday, but I was actually away supporting a client through a detox.

For your information, a proper detox is done with NO alcohol and high doses of Librium that reduce over a period of about a week.

I am sending you a private message too Sara, so check that.

• Posted

Well at last I have the Librium and feel very confident about it. I took my first two tablets a couple of hours ago and feel really calm and relaxed. I am so pleased I have these tablets and dont have to drink wine today and be safe about not having withdrawals.

I have read so much about my situation and the main thing I have learnt is never to try and do cold turkey without medication.

Thanks for all your advice and honesty, I will let you know how I get on!

Sara xxxxx

Plus saved £15 already today in not buying wine!

• Posted

I am happy for you,, l am sure you will be fine.
  • Posted

Hi how are you, are you managing well, did u sleep well last night just try to soldier on its not easy to kick a habit, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.