Please help. Really struggling

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, im hoping there will be someone on here who can reassure me or who has been through similar

i have suffered with fear of choking since Globus but nothing like this. Every time I eat and drink I feel like my breathing becomes really restricted and then I stupidly went online and saw that even with a partial blockage you can still speak, cry and breathe so I feel like because I can do all of those things I'm choking. i have had a camera down my throat and all the relevant tests and they have all came back fine

I am so scared all the time, I dont eat or drink barely because of it.

Please can someone help

thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I went through the same concern that you did for a month and also had several x-rays done and camera down my throat that ruled out any medical problems.

The tightness in your throat really is being caused by anxiety. And now because it's built up in your head whenever you eat or drink it feels like it's getting worse.

I'm still slowly recovering from this and I recommend that you start eating more soft food. Oatmeal, apple sauce, potatoes... cut up your food into small bite size pieces and really chew well. I'd encourage food to go down by drinking a lot of water with my meal. There were times I truly couldn't eat anything so I'd drink a protein shake to still get calories into my body.

Most importantly, you'll need to start believing that there is nothing wrong. It's still a work in progress for me but each day it gets better.

Don't get upset if you feel like you're progress is going slow or you relapse some days. It's all apart of the process. This feeling will go away one day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.