Please help, really struggling, need encouragement

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have been on citalopram for almost 5 weeks now on 20mg for severe anxiety. I have started to see some improvements for few days i managed to go out and do things really felt like i am seeing improvements. However, the past few days i feel like i have completely crashed this morning was horrible i had a massive anxiety attack which i usually dont have them, had to take diazapam. I was really thinking i need to go psych ward as i was feeling like completely going crazy. The anxiety started with an intrusive irrational thought and just spiraled out of control. Just feel so scared super anxious feel like i am worse then when i started. Is there any hope or is the medication making me worse? When will i get better? Please be positive i am really struggling. Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi lala sorry you are feeling so bad. remember this all part of of it - good days and bad days, one step forward two steps back. it will be like this for months. the important thing is that you saw some inprovement which means it is working. remember the levels are still settling and its early days yet - we will get there and we just need to focus on the good hours/days! xx

• Posted

oh gosh sorry you are having such a tough time. hang in there. Its an awful feeling, I think its just all the chemicals in your brain unbalanced, neurons disconnected, it all needs to adjust and settle down and this takes alot of time, up and down, but it will settle and you will feel yourself again. Its a process. Try exercise, yoga, listening to podcasts, be out in nature, - i found these all helped me. Im now on week 11 on 20mg Citalopram - feel so much better, but still having side effects with tight clenched head and tight eyes and tiredness but i can definitely feel i am getting better...you will feel good again in time... good luck

• Posted

Thank you Cher, did you also experience these blips, i am just so scared that medication is not going to work 😦

• Posted

Hi LaLa - things improved alot to begin with but then went down hill for a bit but i realised as soon as i felt even the slightest bit of stress, things started to feel so much worse again. I try to keep my body and mind healthy, try to remove all stress (although very difficult with having kids and job!) but i do try very hard to make myself have down time (without feeling gulity)excercise and i try to stay as calm as possible. I also take vitamins. I dont think or expect the medication to work on its own, I have to put in a huge amount of effort on a daily basis and manage my life better. Keep going as best you can... you will get there...

• Posted

Hi Lala/you will soon get to notice when the medication kicks in after 10/12 weeks,but likes the other has says some days you will feel good and some days you will feel panicky ,that is showing that things are going well.Don't change your dosage ,just stay on the amount that you are on.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message i really appreciate it. It just feels so discouraging that i had the panic attack again 5 weeks in on this medication. Its my second time round and the first time it worked quicker, I know people say that that it takes longer to settle down the second time round. How long you been on cit and did you experience something like this as well where you felt better and then crashed?

• Posted

Hi Lala,

I totally understand what youre feeling. I too have been on 10 mg of Cit for 6-7 weeks. I have moments where I feel ok, usually at night. My anxiety peaked this morning with a irrational thought as well. At the moment, Im trying to remain positive and hopeful that the evening will bring me peace.

I have to remind myself about the medication and how it works. The forum and those who have struggled provide me reassurance.

Remember (saying this to myself as well), this too time shall pass, and it will.

Stay strong and keep communicating when reassurance is needed.

Paulina

• Posted

Thank you for your reply the irrational thoughts are horrible. I remember you posted here and i think i commented i was probably feeling better at that time. How are you doing in general i really hope besides this blip it has not been too bad? yeah we need to give this medication plenty of time to work at least 10 weeks and sometimes even longer. it is however very very hard to feel positive and rational when you are going trough horrible anxiety, i believe it has also been affected by my hormones as i am on that time of them month now.

• Posted

Hey Lala,

Been a bit of a struggle for me as well. Think my struggle is related to medication change. Initially I was taking escitalopram . My MD changed me to Cit.

Planning to go back to escit . Having a difficult time adjusting to the cit.

Hormones will definitely affect you while adjusting to the med. Warm baths and a calm ing environment will help with the anxiety and med adjustment.

It is truly tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel while dealing with this; but, we will get through this time.

😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.