Please help! Recurring post nasal drip + Severe Congestion

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello every.

I wanted to post here as I have suffered with this problem since I was around 13 years old. I am now 28! Every 2-3 months I will randomly wake up with a post nasal drip which will sligtly hurt. The following day that post nasal drip will turn into severe congestion of my nose. I will be so severely congested for the next 7-14 days. I will need to take 2 benadryl, afrin, andĀ allegra D to receieve some comfor. AND, for years I also had to take prednisone AND an antibiotic to clear me up. I don't know why I keep getting this, and it literally happens multiple times a year (except not in the summer months (June - Augus) and I live in New York. I have had scans; and I do not have pyollops or any structural problems. I tried allergy shots about 5 years ago and I honestly don't remember whether they helped or not; but I was thinking about trying them again. I went to the doctor today and he tested me and found I was allergic to: Trees, (grass a little) , cats and dogs (slightly) , and somewhat to dust.

I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what could possibly be triggering this? I know once I start to get the post nasal drip I'm screwed and nothing will help; so I need to find out how I could prevent this. My doctor suggested Mission Allergy protective sheets for my bed and pillows, but I don't think will help because why would I just randmly get this condition a few times a year?

Are the allergy shots my best bet? If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I am sick of being sick so frequently!!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Doesn't sound good but have you gone to an ENT for their opinion ie surgery to clean and open up the sinuses ? Might help but allergy will keep coming back which needs to be treated correctly maybe also see a good naturopath as well to see if they can offer alternative products to assist you instead of just antihistamines and antibiotics
    • Posted

Thanks. I have been to an ENT; they didn't really have any answer but to try the allergy shots. I did try them but again, this was 5 years ago and I really don't remember if they worked or not. I talked about surgery with them but after the 7-14 days of severe congestion I am pretty much all clear. It isn't until another episode 2 months or so later later where I will get hit again..
  • Posted

You dont mention Nasonex nasal spray or nasal irrigation, both of which help me tremendously. I have a little plastic container and I fill it with saline solution which I then squirt up each nostril. All the rubbish that is there can then be blown out. Its not the most pleasant of procedures, and best done in private, but it does work. It was suggested to me by the allergy clinic. A well as that I use nasonex every morning and evening.
    • Posted

My new ENT after seeing him first time and after having 2 previous surgeries and after using Neilmed sinus rinse for 2 years straight has given me antibiotic cream to mix in my sinus rinse for 3 months so this should work with the Infectef muccus on the sinuses . Fingers crossed . Neilmed sinus rinse had been the best and most relieving remedy out of everything I've used. Also started taking evening primrose oil capsules
  • Posted

I use a netti pot, one fourth teaspoon sea salt, tiny squirt of no tears baby shampoo, six drops of grape fruit seed extract, boiled water made warm. Be careful with the grape fruit seed extract, no more than six drops, it's very strong. Twice a day. really helps a lot. smile Dena
  • Posted

I've tried Nasonex and it does pretty much the same thing flo nase does for me. I Still will get a bad post nasal drip and severe congestion every few months. Something is triggering it I would think. I used a nettipot once with no real luck.. I appreciate the replies, but anyone else? I want this gone!
    • Posted

Try seeing a naturopath they should give you advice and products with boosting your immune system and what food are good and bad to eat. Other than that can't give any further advice. I'm surprised the ENT didn't put you on strong antibiotics and operate to clear out and open up the sinuses. Sounds like you need a second opinion.
  • Posted

i WAS on antibiotics. Kephlax 500 mg twice a day, along with prednisone.. It cleared me up everytime I was congested.. but like I said, after 2-3 months I was back congestion again. I know what to eat and not to eat, I am compulisively in the gym and take care of myself.. so its not the diet..
    • Posted

Ok only trying to help we are all here looking for a magical answer but maybe there is none . It might be a process of elimination.Anyway all the best.
    • Posted

I also go to the Gym and have had this issue for 11 months now. Its either post nasal drip or exercised induced asthma, which is beyond me because i have never had any symptoms to asthma before. Maybe thats what you have too. Do you get out of breath at all at the gym, or cough a lot, or wheeze?
  • Posted

I live ny and suffer mightly has u do, but mine is year round. I am doing every thing and the ENT feels

It is cause by my allergens which r grass, dust mites and cockeroach. I have covers on my bed air filter and still my releief is very minimal. What i have found out and u will see by this site. There r many peoplr with the same symptoms, the problem is everyone reacts and heal differently. Most docters try a use a one for all theory when treating people.i have recently seen a fourth ENT who prescribed a dose of predisone which only helped with energy. But the congestion never really cleared up. He also told me to continue with my shots , which i am a year in and i have not seen much relief. Some times in my opinion the shots had to some of the symptoms that i am experiencing. So good luck

• Posted

Crazy! Yes I have the same symptoms. I have really bad post nasal drip and then the next day or the day after I get congested and lots of pain on the bridge of my nose. Usually it turns into an infection and I get put on antibiotics. But it keeps coming back a few weeks to a month later. I dread it.

I'm having surgery Oct 20th because it turns out I have large swollen turbinates and inflamed tissue abutting into my septum. So I keep getting bad facial pain, possibly squishing nerves.

I have allergies so that is my main trigger for this happening. I'm currently taking allergy pills and pulmicort ampoule nasally. I'm pretty sure I'll need antibiotics in the next few days.

• Posted

Let me know how the surgery turns out, I have been staying away from surgery I have not heard great things in regards to them helping in the long run. So please keep me updated
  • Posted

I think sinus surgery is only good for clearing out large infected areas. You should not have the old style "scraping" surgery. That doesn't work. Balloon dilitation of the sinuses works better and is easier to recover from. But even that type of surgery doesn't eliminate recurring sinus problems. 

My original sinus problem started because I worked in a poorly ventalated building. My cubicle was directly under a heating/cooling vent. The summer temperatures were colder than the winter temperatures, and I used a heater when I felt too cold. Whenever anyone new was hired, I welcomed them and told them they would be sick in a week. And I was always right. 

One of the reasons I took early retirement was because I was getting sick all the time. I commuted via public transportation, worked in a sick building, and lost my ability to fight constant illness. I have been less sick since retiring, but I think I will always have sinus issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.