Please help! Reflux is worst its ever been

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 26 year old, i am slightly over weight and relatively inactive, a couple of rounds of golf per week maximum.

5 years ago i was given omeprazole for what i believed was common heartburn, i believed this was a common antacid and to be taken when heartburn arose, before then i was using over the counter antacids to combat this problem!

Anyway 2 months ago my reflux went through the roof, every day haa been a struggle and now i have the common symptoms of heartburn, sore throat, feeling of mucus in the back of the throat and a pain in my stomach area!

On doing a bit of internet research i discovered what omeprazole is and what it does and self prescribed myself 1 a day for a week and it helped for the control of the heartburn symptom! However on bringing myself off them for a few days i am back to square one! I am due to see my doctor in a couple of days regarding the issue however i was hoping someone could render me advice or at least provide me with a little peace of mind in the interm.

I do have health anxiety which was triggered with the loss of a grandparent due to cancer, since her diagnoses i have diagnosed myself with bowel cancer, pancreas cancer, testicular caner and ALS amongst others. My mental health isn't great at the moment due to this anxiety and the above symptoms are also adding to that woe

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You need to go see a GI and do a upper GI test or an endoscopy. The best thing would be to not take stress .
  • Posted

Hello mate, take it easy man. I have had the same issue since I was your age. Been 11 years I am on Omeprazole. I tried to stop it a month ago but had a whole mess came up. Vomiting, stomac pain, colon pain ... went to see my doctor and prescribed some medication that is somehow helpful till now. I also have health anxiety and trust me this is the main problem. Try to avoid self diagnosis and stop listening to your body. You are at a golden age, do not waste thinking about facke pain. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi Stevie ,

I too suffer from health anxiety and I beg you to stay away from Google , and self diagnosis,it will do you no favours. Your symptoms are very common and would probably benefit from Gaviscon advance ( I’m from the UK it may have a different name in the US) . Do see your doctor of course but very very unlikely to be anything of major concern especially at your age . 

I assume all your cancer self diagnosis were negative ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.