Please help- restricted diet IBS, Weak teeth, etc

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone please suggest some easy quick foods to eat for snacks? I have seriously bad teeth from bad genetics and teeth problems when i was younger so need to avoid too much sugar. I suffer from IBS and need to avoid dairy and grains and if i eat too much bread I get constipated. I cannot eat nuts and seeds as they trigger herpes. Bananas, carrots, apples and citrus fruits also cause issues with my stomach. I have no problem with lunch or dinner as i just eat meat and vegetables. What can i eat inbetween to snack on? Im so hungry =(

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The simple answer is get dentures.

I lost all my teeth at the age of 24 due to acid erosion caused by a peptic ulcer at the age of seventeen.

My dentist was a strong union man - he took one look in my mouth and said "One out - all out" and out they came.

If your teeth are not ever going to improve on what they are like now you really need to do something about them as they are essential for dealing with your daily food and you can't live on "mush".

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Clive but I think ill fight tooth and nail literally to prolong the inenvitable. Right now i have no front teeth missing so i think im going to try replacing them as they fall out and stay away from sugar. Dental payment plan, sob.
    • Posted

Well it's your choice and decision - I remember regretting losing my perfectly healthy wisdom teeth as they didn't come through until after the stomach surgery so weren't affected by the acid.

In 51 years I had only three sets of dentures and if they ache I simply take them out, drown them in a glass of water and laugh at them. cheesygrin

I'm now "clivealive" at 75 and I guess my present set will see me out as they are only two years old.

I wish you well

• Posted

Have you tried protein shakes??   There are many different types--  you could buy Vanilla flavor and add the fruit that's on the restricted diet and also spinich.  It is filling!!

• Posted

Cut down meat as it generally takes 2 -3 days to digest & asva result bloating of stomach with fermentation developing, thus creating constipation or worst case of obstipation. Increase intake of leafy veggies i.e. nearly 100 gms of spinach, bottle gourd, bitter gourd, pumpkin and papaya in fruits as they r rich in fibres. Decrease fried and spicy n pungent foods including pickles. Observe for 1 week and discuss further if need be. As for snacks, u may eat sliced tomatoes without seeds, cucumber and water melon, thus avoiding dairy products. Try low fat cottage cheese once a week about 20 gms only & raw, but not roasted with spicies as this may again trigger your irritable bowels. Stay away from garlic & onions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.