Please help, running out of hope for bartholin gland cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I first found my bartholin gland cyst after my husband and I were sexually active and I did not wash myself after 5 mins or orgasming. We had used his saliva as lubricant and I believe the bacteria from his infected tooth did it. I've had this cyst for 2 weeks now and at first it was painless but now it is affecting my life. I just got my period and the cyst is almost blocking the entrance to my vagina to where my blood won't flow out properly. Also, I'm unable to poop as I've been constipated for weeks. My doctor, who I saw on Wednesday, gave me an injection of rocephin and cetrifilaxone as I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. I've been sitting next in warm baths two or three times a day but nothing is opening up. I want this thing to drain already!

I was so desperate I even applied iodex or Vicks vaporub on the cyst but it burned so badly. How can I get this cyst to burst? Please help, I'm not even able to walk properly let alone sit. Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure your husbands infected tooth didn't have any roll in this. You must have had a the cyst and just sex irritated/blocked the duct and caused it to absess. If it's painful and blocking the area as you said then the doctor should have opened it there. But if they want it to drain naturally then you shouldn't be moving around and it takes a good week or so but it depends really. The sitz bath was helping for me, just felt good the moment I did it then after almost felt worse.
    • Posted

Now that I think about it I always felt a small pimple down there on my right vaginal wall. I wonder if this was my glands opening and it truly did get agitated from the sex. It was pretty rough that day and I wasn't well lubricated. And then he made me orgasm and I think me sitting in my fluids for 5 minutes blocked the gland.
  • Posted

You are going to have to go to the doctor and get it drained. I had one for 2 weeks that would not open up on its on. I did the baths, took silica and nothing helped. I had a word catheter inserted, but I could only handle it for about 5-6 days before having it removed. But once removed, the cyst was gone and it went back to normal. That was 3 months ago. Now I just had another one, but this time it ruptured on its on. I guess because the skin was still thin in that area from where the catheter was inserted. I was able to push on it and all the infection came out. Good luck. These things are awful.
    • Posted

Hi Nikki, I'm sorry to hear yours came back a second time. When they drained it, was it hard? Mine is the size of a large grape and it's hard and tender to touch and pressure. I read that a cyst should never be drained while hard as it doesn't allow the body to completely get rid of the underlying bacteria that causes the cyst in the first place. My doctor said mine didn't have an infection, was yours before you got the surgery? And has anything reoccurred after having popped your second cyst? Thank you
    • Posted

Mine was hard and painful before I had the catheter inserted. It was to the point that I was having trouble sitting and walking. It was about the size of a golf ball by the time i went to the doctor. She cut it open and blood and puss came out for about a minute or so, then she inserted the catheter. After the catheter was taken out, it went completely down (no lump at all). For the week before getting the catheter was inserted, my doctor had called me in a prescription for infection to see if my body would fight it off before having to have it cut open, but it clearly didn't help. If it continues to bother you, I would definitely tell them you want it drained regardless. And I have found that the harder you have sex, the more likely these things are to come up. With the latest one, it has drained for 3 days now. I push on it when i feel pressure building up and stuff has still been coming out, but it has gone from a milky puss, to more bloody puss. I'm assuming this means I have nearly got the infection out. And it doesn't hurt at all.
  • Posted

Hi Ericashel88

I had to comment on your post...I was thinking the same my husband used his salvia as a lubricant and then this Bartholin cyst appears...I've been to dr 2 times I was going for the marpulazation surgery then dr canceled because she said it was too deep and thought it would go away on its own ..I have discomfort and I'm totally frustrated i want it gone did sitz baths and this cyst won't go away

Please keep in touch

Renee

• Posted

Looks like we are in the same boat Renee, these things are truly awful. I'll let you know as soon as I get better. I can't do a thing!
    • Posted

Hi Renee1973,

I ended up going to my naturopathic Doctor today and she ended up draining the cyst. She advised me to go to my primary care physician to have the capsule removed as she was not a surgeon. I believe this is what they call the marsupilization. The drainage hurt a lot, they injected me with lidocaine and then inserted another needle into the cyst to remove the fluid. I instantly felt better and I can walk again! I'm going to request an IV sedation because I don't want a spinal tap or the local anesthesia again. How are you doing with your process?

I was also given probiotics and an herbal tincture to build up my immune system. I'd suggest looking up a naturopathic or homeopathic Doctor in your area. They are expensive but totally worth it!

• Posted

Hi Ericashel88,

So glad you are feeling better

I'm going back to my Gyno tonight because the cyst is still hurting me

I want to see what she suggests at this point

I'm 43 years old and my dr did say I'm kind of older to get this that's what makes me even more nervous as to why and could It be cancerous

I'll update tonight

Regards

Renee 1973

• Posted

Ericashel88

One more question if my Gyno wants to drain today in office how bad is the pain I'm scared to death

Renee1973

• Posted

Hi Renee, I went to my general practitioner today and she said what they should have done yesterday is make an incision in the cyst and physically drain it. The lidocaine burned real bad, I immediately started to sweat but deep breaths will help! Also, I think I wasn't numb at all because I could feel the needle going in afterwards. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say it was a 9.5 on the pain scale. It's unfortunate we women have to go through these things. Best of luck to you!
  • Posted

I understand the pain and frustration dealing with these nasty things. My advice to everyone who suffers from these is book in to get the marsupialization done. I suffered with them for years when I finally got taken to hospital via ambulance when I was 32 weeks pregnant, I had the operation done that day, stayed over night to make sure the baby was ok and discharged. its now been about a year and I haven't had any recurrence and am back to enjoying a happy sex life. 

If if it's really causing that much pain go to the ER and get it taken care of 

• Posted

Hi jettabugs, thank you for commenting. I'm also at my last straw with this thing and thinking of being put under general anesthesia and having it drained. My only concern is that it is hard right now, like a large marble. Was yours hard or soft when they did the surgery? And did they remove the entire bartholin gland or just drain the cyst? Thank you
  • Posted

Mine was quite large like golfball size, I had to be picked up by two paramedics out of my house then placed on a stretcher as I couldn't even stand up and the pain was extruiating. It was hard and easily the most painful thing I've ever endured. 

At at hospital they were only going to drain but after seeing that I had been hospitalised three times during my pregnancy with them they decided just to do the marsupialization also. Best decision ever made. I strongly recommend asking your doctor about it and getting it done ASAP 

• Posted

I have a question the Marpulazation surgery do they take the gland out or just drain it ?

I was under the impression that it is drained and stitched ?

Renee

• Posted

I believe so Renee, I was unconscious for the surgery because my body rejected the spinal aenethesia. From what I gather the doctor had drained it then stitched the gland open to stop the infection from coming back. 

He told me the next step if they recur will be to remove the gland completely it told me it's very rare they will recur after the marsupialization.  

• Posted

Thank you ! I believe the told me they would put me out in a light sudation not a spinal tap I think they give you an IV

Thanks time will tell with me what I'm going to do

Renee

• Posted

Mine was IV. I was in a big room with other people hooked up to have surgery and they had me sign papers and what not. Asked about the meds I was on and was out. I didn't even know they started anything hah. Wokeep up a few hours later to a nurse putting ice inside the underwear they apparently put on me. You try to go to the bathroom about an hour later, seems scary but it wasn't that bad. The gauze was my drainage because I refused a drainage tube. So glad I did. Felt normal again after the gauze fell out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.