Please help :( scared

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone. Just a brief post because, well, I'm exhausted.

I've been suffering with crippling mental and physical fatigue for some time now, I've just been reading up on the symptoms of CFS/ME, I cried when I read it as I felt I finally had an answer for how I feel.

After suffering with depression and having previous blood tests back clear I just assumed it was this that is making me 'tired', though I never shook the feeling there was something more physical. It's so painful.

Basically I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow, I'm so afraid they won't take me seriously. If anybody has any tips on how I can handle my GP I would really appreciate it. I just want tp feel better.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ellie,

Good luck for today, I really hope you have a supportive GP. It can make all the difference as I found out only yesterday!

I originally got diagnosed a few years ago, but it took months and months of nagging and testing to get it. Even when I did get it my GP told me that in our area there isn't a lot of support for CFS/ME so I got no help at all and was left to get on with things. Before I got the diagnosis, I read about it online and I stared at the screen in shock. I remember saying to my dad "that's me, that's it!"

I was made to feel (by my GP, family, friends and colleagues) as if I was making things up and there was nothing wrong with me. I even started to question myself. 

I moved a short distance last year and had to change GPs, at the time I was 7months pregnant and feeling OK so the CFS didn't come up. A few months after baby was born I started feeling a lot worse and went to the GP several times about tiredness/sleeping problems etc etc. I think I had even made myself believe it was in my head! When I did mention the CFS to my new GP he brushed it off and said I felt tired because of my daughter. I tried to explain my history but he wouldn't listen. I left feeling deflated and confused. 

Fast so forward a few weeks and I'm having a chat at baby group about how COMPLETELY exhausted I felt. A friend said to get my thyroids checked. Another started talking about the GP I have just mentioned and said DONT see him, see one of the other 2! So that's what I did. And guess what, he didn't laugh in my face or make me feel stupid. He was amazing. He is running tests again just to make sure he doesn't miss anything but he directed me to this website and told me think about what treatment/next steps I want to take. Treatment??? There's treatment!? Everything suddenly fell in to place and made sense and this time I had someone who understood! He even said he was going to call another patient about the treatment she had because she doesn't get very affected by it anymore. 

Im sorry for the very long reply but what I'm trying to say is, if you do not get the support you need, don't give up. It is out there. I'm just beginning to get the help I need but it's progress.

Ps. I hope that all makes sense, I'm too tired to read it back over! I had a really bad night and my daughter got me up at 5.30😭

• Posted

P.S. I have heard amazing things about coconut oil and want to try it!
  • Posted

Hi everyone smile

Thanks again for your input and help!

I just got back, I saw a GP I haven't seen before. She was lovely, really nice and took me seriously! She gave me a sick note for 2 weeks for some rest, I'm getting my bloods done tomorrow to check my thyroid etc, then seeing her again next Wednesday to see what to do next.

She listened to everything I had to say and when I mentioned CFS she said it was a possibility, she said not to worry, take a rest, and hopefully we will have an answer soon.

What a relief smile just about to ring my less than supportive employers, which I'm worried about!

• Posted

Hi Ellie, I, too, am so pleased that you have come away from your GP with the support that you need.....as for your Employer, is it necessary, at this Particular time, to actually tell them Everything...the fact that you have a Medical Certificate for sick leave should be adequate for now....it really isn't their business to know Exactly what is the medical problem....if a doctor has said/given you sick leave...that should be the end of it for the time being.....if the leave needs to be extended, once again the medical certificate is all that is required by law (here in Australia at least)...if you feel you can confide in your HR department (if your employer has one), or your employer, then do so, to ease your conscience...but don't, please, let them get you MORE stressed...that you don't want/need.....hoping all continues towards the correct  path on getting back on track............Bron
  • Posted

Hi Ellie, I hope your employers were as understanding as your doctor and it wasn't too much of a difficult conversation that you had with them today. Sleep well x
  • Posted

Hi Ellie, I hope your employer is understanding now that you have a doctors note, but if not, please don't allow them to bully you (easier said than done when you are dealing with this i know), I left a previous job for that very reason and it wasnt until I went to my next employer I realised how supportive they were meant to have been.  

If only i knew then what i know now!  I think you have better employment laws than where I am (at least I hope you do) so don't be afraid to find out what you are entitled to in the way of understanding/support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.