Please help, severe abdominal distension

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi  smile

I've been struggling for years with severe bloating/abdominal distension. I have been to my GP many a time and they dismiss this as IBS.

It gets progressively worse throughout the day, doesn't make much of a difference as to what I eat, I always end up bloated. It tends to go down substantially in the morning and I don't have stomach pains or gas associated with this.

I am a vegan and eat pretty clean (predominately whole foods), and I have tried many different diets to help with bloating including SCD, paleo (when I used to be a pescatarian), low FODMAP etc.

ANY help or advice pointing me in the right direction would be so greatly appreciated, as it affects my confidence and stops me from living my life normally.

Thank you!  smile

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I've had IBS my whole life.  Seems it goes in cycles.  Right now I'm having a bad flare up.  What I've found that helps me is the following: Probiotics, Pepto Bismol, Peppermint tea, Chamomile tea, Metamucil (works for both diarrhea and constipation).  Hope you feel better soon.  Get rest and don't stress....Easy to say, not easy to do!

• Posted

At least you have found some things that help you to manage your IBS! That's great smile

I take daily probiotics and being a health lover I only drink herbal teas (and lots of them). I've tried supplementing with all sorts – Betain HCL, digestive enzymes etc but nothing seems to help.

I'm feeling very lost with this! Thank you for your advice smile

• Posted

Have you had a celiac test to see if you are gluten intolerant and have you had a pelvic ultrasound?
    • Posted

I have indeed had a coeliac test and it came back negative. I've also had the pelvic ultrasound and they didn't find anything!

Feeling very tired of not knowing what's wrong and how to manage it sad

• Posted

You may have non celiac gluten intolerance which means you may be able to eat some gluten.  With celiac, no gluten can be taken. Some people with IBS are sensitive to it.  Try reducing gluten or cutting it out completely.  
    • Posted

Maybe try cutting out lactose and fructose or ask your doctor to test for these intolerances.
    • Posted

I'm vegan so I don't take in lactose. I do everything by the book and have experimented with food but it doesn't matter what I eat, I always have this problem. I dont really feel that I'm ever going to get an answer as to why this is happening!

• Posted

Add probiotics and probiotics to the diet. Yogurt and ferminted foods.
  • Posted

Its amazing the amount of people with these symptons...........

i feel i am sounding like a cracked record,but.....................

i had those problems for years.til a new doc told me to trial deleting

dairy products from my meals for a few weeks.......

Did that and the problem disappeared...........

So.........it turned out i was Lactose intolerent..............

Now i use Lactose free dairy products......and all is good....

IF...this helps you......watch out for milk solids in cakes, biscuits and a lot of 

packaged mixes.(read the packet contents)

I feel it is worth a try.............................

........................Billy..........................

• Posted

Thank you for the response Billy – I am glad that you managed to find the cure to your troubles! I'm actually vegan so I don't consume dairy smile

• Posted

I am in the exact position as you. I have also lost weight due to this. I have had done all types of tests but nothing shows up. I was told that I probably have mild IBS and it could be due to stress. If you ever find a solution, please do let me know lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.