Please help, severe vitamin b12 defiency, onset of dementia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm 23 years old. For about a year now I have suffered from symptoms of severe vitamin b12 deficiency. For the past year I have been unable to treat it because I didn't know what it was. But now I am so scared  because I think I started to get dementia. I have had memory problems and cognitive problems for 3 years now, but these past three months it has really progressed into something i can't control. Most importantly, I feel myself getting confused about the simplest things, genuinely confused. I feel anxious but i can't calm myself down. It gets I know untreated vitamin deficiency can cause dementia. 

I need help. I live with my parents and don't work. I tried to get my family to the doctor but they don't believe me. I am getting really hopeless, I am considering suicide because i don't want to lose my mind, but there is no way out. Can someone give me advice or guidance on what to do?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, please go to your doctor he will refer you to a memory clinic of some sort to find out what is going on, you don't have to deal with this alone please seek help, my dad had dementia, will your parents not go with you? Xx
    • Posted

my parents think i am making it up, docotor is expensive where i live and they don't to pay. I can't go to the docotor until I move out to my aunt in UK this summer, but i am afraid it will be too late then
    • Posted

Awww don't give up hun I suffer from anxiety, and bad thoughts that I'm going to die or something is wrong with me, are you on any medication at all? I'm starting to feel alot better since taking my meds, I live in the UK, please try and talk to someone over were you are someone will help you even if it's till you come over era, never give up xx
    • Posted

but i need help now... you don't understand my parents won't send me to the uk if i don't pass and i know i can't with all this going on
    • Posted

Well the only advise I can give you is to try and talk to your parents again, make them listen and tell them you need help you are having horrible thoughts, I'm sorry I can't be more of a help xx
  • Posted

Don't lose hope. Call a friend or relative, now. Please, go to a doctor and explain what you have said here. Don't do anything dangerous. We care for you. You will get the help you need. You will get better.

I am praying for you.

Blessings

KIrk  :-)

• Posted

Hello Simplelife92 i really hate that you are going through all of this. I want to tell you that there are people like myself that care. Have you tried contacting an agency in your town that will help you with medical. If you have no income they may even have no cost please never give up, there is a way.
  • Posted

It will be very difficult, but I recommend trying to explain to your parents that you are feeling suicidal BECAUSE you are so frightened and feeling hopeless with your mental state.  This is very different from feeling suicidal because of depression, and needs different actions taken.

There is no guarantee that your parents will respond well, as I do not know your parents.  Some parents may write it off as their child being dramatic, attention seeking, or something of the sort.  By your post, it is evident that this is NOT TRUE of you. 

If you are having symptoms so severe that it concerns you like this, you really DO need to be seen by a doctor.  Do you live in the US?  (all I know is not the UK)  In the US, you can go and be seen at a clinic, or go to the Emergency Room.  If you try to seek care without your parents help, I would tell the doctor or admitting staff that the "reason for being seen" is that you feel very confused, cannot remember things, anxious, and suicidal. I would not go into anywhere, or to your parents for that matter, focusing on the vitamin B12 deficiency. 

Unfortunately, you may be right.  This could all be caused by a B12 deficiency... but people don't want to hear your Dr. Google diagnosis.  I learned this the hard way.  Let other people feel empowered, and like the smart ones to figure it out, and help them to take you seriously by explaining what you KNOW (your symptoms), not what you SUSPECT. 

PS.  Have you tried picking up some B12?  No matter where you live a bottle of vitamins is usually not that expensive.  It is more important to get an actual diagnosis and work up for what is causing this, but in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to try taking vitamins.  These are also some excellent food sources of B12.

• Posted

Hi i am 52 i have mystery chronic aches and pains for the last two years,chronic exhaustion i am diabetic i saw 2 consultants one who said all my pains were diabetic related and i told my doctor that its not that as ive read the signs of diabetic nerve damage,finally a few weeks ago my doctor did a b12 test which was low so he gave me one injection straight away by the next day i could feel an improvement i hadnt realised but i was getting really confused i would point to someting and say to my husband can you pass me that thingy,my husband said what did you mean i couldnt think what the thing i wanted was called,i thought i was getting dementia,as i had 3 injections for two weeks i had a big improvement my brain seemed much clearer and i was getting my memory back. im now waiting 8 weeks for an injection every 12 weeks at the doctors,im sure the doctor must have thought i was an hypochondriac because i kept complaining of widespread pain,although im a very upbeat person i would just sit watching tv and fall fast asleep for hours on end,i have seen 2 consultants,had occupational therapy that was no good because my hands became paralised and unable to bend fingers,then i had physio,i just felt like falling asleep and not waking up i was totally exhausted,please go to your doctors and get tested because there are a lot of people who say their brain is foggy with b12 deficiency,i know you will feel sick of going doctors but you have to keep going till they do something,if you are b12 deficient you will notice your thinking much better,im still having some numbness in hands and feet but im going to keep going back till im sorted,i hope you go to the doctors and get the help you need,if it is b12 deficiency,if you have to go on your own its worth it,hope you get sorted and feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.