PLEASE HELP!! Subclinical hyperthyroidism

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello I've been diagnosed about 5 months ago with subclinical hyperthyroidism...i have all the kind of symptoms my primary Dr put me on Beta blockers and Xanax..and then send me to see an endo

My Endo put me on Methimazole but u had such a bad reaction to it..so she stop it and said all she want to do is watch it for now but i can't live like this..so what should i do? Should i seek a 2nd opinion? PLEASE HELP!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jason

Wat symptoms do u have ? Well I was diagnosed with the same condition almost 9 yrs back. But fortunately I don hav any symptoms. I just monitor my levels every 6 months and im not on medication. The doc said it wud be preferable to not start medication for this condition and unless I show symotims I don't need to unnecessarily take meds.

• Posted

Thanks for commenting!

I have all kinds of hyperthyroidism symptoms from anxiety to tremor weight loss hard time staying concentrated..i feel like my life has stopped and I'm 22 years old which keep making my Dr. Taking easy on me..but I'm afraid I'm risking other conditions if i leave it untreated.

• Posted

Yes absolutely get a second opinion. What are your symptoms? You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health.
    • Posted

Thanks for commenting!

I have all kinds of hyperthyroidism symptoms from anxiety to tremor weight loss hard time staying concentrated..i feel like my life has stopped and I'm 22 years old which keep making my Dr. Taking easy on me..but I'm afraid I'm risking other conditions if i leave it untreated.

• Posted

Doctors left me untreated for my hyperthyroid for many years. Mine started with palpitations, general weak body feeling, tired, weak muscles and the list goes on. My worse symptom was anxiety so they put me on anti depressants because all doctors thought I was a hypochondriac because I told all doctors that I knew I had a thyroid problem. They wouldn't do anything because my levels were "normal" so I've been on anti depressants for 13 years now. 2 years ago, I found a new doctor who finally believed me and diagnosed me with Graves' disease which is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. My thyroid is now huge and has multiple nodules that are suspicious looking. I am on tapazole until the surgeon can get me in for surgery to take my thyroid out. The doctor told me the graves is progressing too fast for my meds to keep up. I have been through hell because doctors would not listen to me. A bad functioning thyroid can cause so much in your body. Your numbers may say you're ok but your body is saying you're not, listen to your body and don't let them sweep you under the rug. Thyroid disease is one of the biggest misdiagnosed conditions in health care.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

Totally agree with you. Do u have a suggestion for me. I have no symptoms as such. Been subclinical for a decade almost now. Is it advisable to let it be until symptoms rise. Can it affect the bone and heart in the long run. Shud I take medication. I am told takin meds for this is more harmful than good. My tsh us real low but my t3 and t 4 is normal. Wat do u suggest for me?

• Posted

If you have no symptoms at all, I would watch and wait. How low is your TSH?
    • Posted

That is low but if your body doesn't have any symptoms, I don't think it's affecting you right now.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

In that case, it's bound to affect me later rite. How can I avoid that !

• Posted

Not necessarily, live as healthy of a lifestyle as you can, exercise, eat well and take supplements like calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. You may be able to combat it by just that.
    • Posted

Okay will dosmile so u saying I could practically live with the same condition for the rest of my life without affecting my bone and heart. Coz subclinical affects without any symptoms I hear. Is that true? Also it is better to not take medication rite at this juncture.. .?

• Posted

Yes will dosmile but do u mean I can live my entire life with this condition without it affecting my bones and heart in the long run. It's like a silent killer I thot. Is it true? Is it ok I'm not treating it now with meds...

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, so I can't really say that. I can only tell my story and what happened to me. I had many symptoms and was left untreated and I only feel confident in telling somebody who has the symptoms to do something about it.

• Posted

Hi Jason

I would get 2nd opinion because if you have symptoms such as anxiety, rapid pulse rate, palpatations, weight loss and aching muscles the beta blockers will not help . You will need thyroid medication to sort the symptoms out. If you had a reaction to medication , why haven't they given you another type of medication?

Jac

• Posted

my TSH started at 0.15 two more weeks it was 0.10 and then they started me on Methimazole that i took for a whole month ignoring the the bad reaction i had towards it but after a month I couldn't handle it anymore i went to the ER and it was effecting me badly so my endo had me stop it

then she wanted me to be on PTU and I refuse because i read that Methimazole has 3 cases liver damage while PTU has 28 i was like Noo I'm not doing this to my self "you can live without thyroid but not without lliver"

so now my endo just wanna watch me even tho my TSH is down to 0.01 with normal t3 and t4

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.