Please help! *Supposed* Bacterial Vaginosis Ruining My Sex Life!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been struggling with a persistent case of discharge for several years that has been crippling my confidence and my sex life. It started becoming more persistent when I was about 19, although I believe I had my first bacterial vaginosis infection when I was 15/16 and first becoming sexually active. It only worsened after my abortion at age 20, which left me with very heavy bleeding. The following is a description of the symptoms:

-Foul smelling discharge (not so much fishy of metallic.. sometimes it's very subtle, but off)

-Ranging from white to off white, yellowish, grey or even slightly pink

-Worsens after period or sex (anything that alters my p.h.)

-Reactive smell to low p.h. soaps 

-Worsens after drinking alcohol or sugary, acid producing foods

-Sometimes thin and clear, sometimes very thick and white (I can scoop it out with my finger in the shower sometimes and a surprising amount will come out), sometimes very sticky

-Pain during sex

Both my ex boyfriend and my current partner acknowledged that it is smelly/unpleasant. We use coconut oil because it helps with the smell and lubrication and I don't allow them to perform oral sex. I am afraid to do antibiotics because the first time i tried that they didn't help, plus i have a very weak digestive system (I used to have ulcerative colitis) that I believe is linked to my lack of beneficial microorganisms and high ph level in my vagina.  I've self-treated with the following and found little relief:

-Inserting coconut oil (only helpful during sex)

-Inserting vitamin C tablets (only helpful for 1-2 days and seems dangerous for my fragile insides)

-Tea tree oil (not helpful)

-Huge amounts of probiotics, yogurt, kifer orally and inter-vaginally (doesn't seem to help)

My boyfriend and I do not use a condom, use the pull out method, and avoid sex during ovulation.. stupid, I know. I'm concerned that this might be some kind of STD that the doctors did not test for, or a unique strain of extremely resistant super bacteria (maybe ecoli, since i wear thongs). I took antibiotics too many times when I was young for foot fungus, strep throat, etc. I feel like I am never going to be normal and it is detrimental to my self esteem. Please help with advice on how I can approach this without antibiotics, such as what kind of tests to run or diet restrictions. 

Thank you so much!


1 like, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Summer,

    I think that you are on to something that this issue is related to your intestinal health. I have two suggestions. Anything that you can do to improve your gut bacterial diversity such as probiotics and fermented foods (which you are already doing), and eating a totally whole foods diet without processed foods and added sugars (consider going gluten free for a trial, too), and getting your Vitamin D levels to a good level is likely to help. The vaginal bacterial balance is often related to the GI tract balance and you are wise to use antibiotics now only when absolutely necessary. Some important species that are involved in proper immune functioning can be impacted severely by antibiotics. Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? Most of us are much too low and this important vitamin is related to over 250 epigenetic processes, including helping to regulate the immune system. My BV didn't go away until I got my Vitamin D levels up to a healthy level. I have finally not had a recurrance of BV since (and rarely get sick now either). Good luck to you!


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I have not had my Vit D levels checked, but I have read studies that debunked the theory that it would help women with BV. As a general immune system strengthener, I'm sure it's a good idea and will look into it. I get a lot of sun, but I am sure I need other forms of it in my diet. :

      I think you're right that I need to eat more probiotics/fermented foods, such as saurkrout. I think that I should probably AVOID Kiefer and Yogurt, as it is probably making my body more acidic. 

      Thank you Suzanne! 

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Summer---I did read that article when it came out, too. One study may not be the final word, especially since Vitamin D is known to help regulate the immune system, such as with autoimmunity and cancer. It certainly worked magic for me with the BV and may be worth a trial since it's cheap and harmless unless taken at too high a dose. Many of the studies that I've read on Vitamin D actually use such low doses that it's not surprising that they got no results. I'm not sure what dose they used in that study (though they claim that it was a "high" dose). Good luck to you and I hope that you find the key to feeling better. All my best, Suzanne
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Suzanne00 advice is excellent.  Also, you may want to try olive leaf extract capsules. They are a natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and effective against nasty protozoa.  It is very safe to use. However, one might have what is called the Herxheimer Reaction. It is usually short-term (from days to a few weeks) detoxification reaction in the body. As the body detoxifies you may  experience flu-like symptoms, headache, joint and muscle pain, body aches, sore throat, general malaise, sweating, chills, nausea or other symptoms.This is a normal  and even healthy reaction as it indicates that parasites, fungus, viruses, bacteria or other pathogens are being killed off. Often people stop taking the supplement  that is causing the reaction, and so discontinue the very treatment that is helping to make them better. Although the experience may not make you feel particularly good, the Herxheimer Reaction is actually a sign that healing is taking place. Rarely one may have a more severe reaction...vomiting and diarrhea as you are so overloaded with toxins that your body can't to expell it to fast enough. So it is best to stay home the first day you try it. If this happens, then you may have to discontinue taking the supplement as you can become seriously dehydrated. The vomiting and diarrhea is not a common reaction, but one you should be aware of ...just in case.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I've never had BV but I have candida and intense thrush. To keep it at bay I use Myrrh tincture 3 times daily and grapefruit seed extract. They work amazingly well! razz
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    HEY SUMMER I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE AND I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOUR ISSUE IS THE UNPROTECTED SEX. sadly me and you can't have ubprotected sex because it sparks the imbalance. To get it treated , which usually works for me , is metronidazole which is an antibiotic that you need prescribed by a gynocologist or doctor. Use a condom ! ( it sucks but not as bad as bv)

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up