Please help swallowing issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering with reflux off and on for some yrs. I did an endoscopy last yr, some mild oesophagitis. Today, I am in pain. Painful swallowing, naseau and horrible pain btwn the shoulder blades. I am scared to eat or take the meds because of the swallowing pain. Please help. I am also on omeprazole, which isn't working right now.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is something I experienced as well.  Acid reflux caused by gastritis.  Pain in stomach, back (between shoulder blades).

​You might try another drug: Nexium seems to work better than omeprazole for some people.  If you want to try to get off that type of drug you might ask your doctor to prescribe Carafate (or the generic sucralfate).  My stomach was so irritated that even the Carafate was causing me inflammation but I figured out that it was the fillers in the formulation that were doing it.  I asked my doctor to write me a prescription for just pure sucralfate powder in gelatin capsules.  You have to go to a compounding pharmacy for it.  Google "compounding pharmacy" and find one in your area.  I was opening these up into a glass (don't use plastic) and putting a small amount of water (quarter of an inch is all you want).  Take the glass and gently swirl it around for 20 seconds or until the powder is completely suspended in the water and then down the hatch like a shot glass.  Don't eat or drink anything for 1 hour afterwards.  The last time I filled it and I told the pharmacist I was dumping them into a glass and tossing the capsule she just gave me the powder and a 1 gram scoop!  Now it's very simple to take vs. breaking the capsules open.  This way of taking it makes sure that it coats not only the stomach but the esophagus as well.  The dosing is 1 gram 4 times per day on an empty stomach - once at each meal and then right before bed.

Having said all that, you need to figure out what is causing your reflux and get rid of it or change it (either something in your diet, stress or a medication, or it could be multiple of these things).  Healing can be slow going but in most cases we don't get this way overnight.  This condition creeps up on you slowly over time.  Our stomachs are normally very tough.  A little wear and tear they heal up without a fuss.  But if you keep doing the same bad thing over a long period of time eventually it hits like a ton of bricks and we think it came out of nowhere but nope; it was happening little by little over months or years and we just didn't notice.  There are exceptions to this of course: a very stressful event like a divorce, death of a loved one, having a baby, a major surgery or a hospital stay can bring it on very quickly. Point is you have to remove or modify the trigger to make progress in healing.

Good luck!

Barry

• Posted

Don't worry but do an endoscopy. If you have bile reflux PPIs may not work for you.
  • Posted

Do not worry, please.

Watch your diet. Do you think you may have bile reflux? I have heard that sometimes it may be symptomless. If you have bile reflux, PPIs may not work. In that case, you may need other medicines such as Domperidone, Ursodeoxycholic acid or SSRIs depending on the reason of your reflux.

• Posted

I did the endoscopy, just waiting on the results. They should be back today
    • Posted

No news as of yet, I am still waiting. Thanks for asking, I appreciate it.
    • Posted

Don't worry. The pains you mentioned (shoulders, etc.) may be because of reflux, not anything worse. I have heard that using only PPIs is not be good when you have bile reflux. Moreover, they usually do not work when you have bile reflux. If you have both acid and bile reflux, ... ummm, not sure... things can be different... Ask your doctor if he can give you Domperidone, Ursodeoxycholic acid or other drugs for your bile reflux. Yet I'm not sure.

• Posted

The pain may also be due to your tonsils, but I'm not sure. It's just a guess nothing more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.