Please help - Tinnitus advice!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Question re Tinnitus....

I have had for the past 5 days episodes of low rumbling/vibrating in my left ear - sounds exactly like a car engine running. It has been on and off lasting for several hours at a time and then going back to normal.

Saw GP yesterday and she said Tinnitus, but im not convinced - during the periods of vibrating if I talk, or if there is an outside noise ie someone else talking or the tv is on then the sensation stops. This isn't just me being distracted by another noise, the vibrating literally stops, I can feel it. But then it restarts as soon as I am quiet and still.

My question is can this happen with tinnitus? Can tinnitus stop when there is an outside noise only to immediately come back? I always thought of tinnitus as a high pitched noise that was constant.

Would really appreciate any info that anyone can provide.

Thank you!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

see the doctor to make sure it is tinnitus and not something else causing the noise 

if he cant find anything else then theres some basic things you can do .

check any meds your taking regular see if this is a possiable side effect 

get a self help hypnoses cd i believe you can get one for tinitus or if you can t find one get one for stress use twice daily the more stressed or tired you are the worse it becomes i know from personal expericene

and if it bothers you at night try a music pillow ,a pillow with a speaker in that you can plug in i pad or phone with your  music on,eek back ground noise distracts i am more bothered by it when its quite.

• Posted

It seems that this little sneeky tinnitus comes in in many forms and shapes.
  • Posted

It seems that this little sneeky tinnitus comes in in many forms and shapes.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah sorry to hear about your situation but it sounds to me that you may have a little infection in the eustachean tube....they open and close as you talk and swallow. And most likely it will get better in time...it will dont worry too much about it
  • Posted

Yes it can happen, i would really recomend you to go to your nearest ENT and get a good check, it sounds like it may be a fungus on your ear and it can be curable, but if its not ask the ENT to give a steroid treatment for your tinnitus, i got mine due to noise so there is no cure ,but i have a friend that had a similar sensation and it was a fungus, so go asap to your nearest ENT and ask if he is familiar with tinnitus cus most will just tell you to "learn to live with it" phrase and you dont want a ENT like that, so make sure you get it checked out asap! Good luck and God bless!
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies!

i am not convinced it is tinnitus as i have had that before as a high pitched ring that doesnt disspear whereas this is a vibration sensation that disappears when i talk or theres an outside noise.

i see an ENT anyway as i have all sorts of inner ear problems which i guess makes me more susceptible to tinnitus!

i have been on propranolol for a month for vestibular migraines so maybe it could be a side effect although it isnt listed on the mediciation as one.

• Posted

Vestibular problems have been known to cause tinnitus, if you fix that you may get rid of it....i hope so, you can get used to it in time...
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, Im Malk. I have had Tinnitus for so long I have stopped counting the years. Its ALWAYS there, mainly in my left ear, thats the one with a peforated ear drum, that happened when I was Ten years old,I did it diving into the swimming baths one day. never gave me much trouble,apart from being a little deaf in that ear,but over time you get use to it. until a few years ago when I had this Tinnitus start, my own fault, I decided to get on my keyboard one night ,and had  got myself a nice new set of earphones. was not playing loud, but after about a hour, I took the headphones off, and tha Tinnitus was there, Never gone away to this day. Some days are better than others, If I get a cold it drives me nuts, and starts in both ears, and I have a run of taking Lemsip powders, writing down how many I take and the hours I have taken them over to make sure I dont overdose on them, try and stick ti  packets in 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, Im Malk. I have had Tinnitus for so long I have stopped counting the years. Its ALWAYS there, mainly in my left ear, thats the one with a peforated ear drum, that happened when I was Ten years old,I did it diving into the swimming baths one day. never gave me much trouble,apart from being a little deaf in that ear,but over time you get use to it. until a few years ago when I had this Tinnitus start, my own fault, I decided to get on my keyboard one night ,and had  got myself a nice new set of earphones. was not playing loud, but after about a hour, I took the headphones off, and tha Tinnitus was there, Never gone away to this day. Some days are better than others, If I get a cold it drives me nuts, and starts in both ears, and I have a run of taking Lemsip powders, writing down how many I take and the hours I have taken them over to make sure I dont overdose on them, try and stick ti  packets in 
  • Posted

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I've just come across your posting on your tinnitus symptoms.  How are you now? I'm really interested in your tinnitus symptoms.  I too have tinnitus and have had it for many many years.  I have the usual high pitched ringing all the time in my right ear and sometimes it apppears in both ears, but never goes away.  I also have a deep rumbling fibration but have not come across anyone else with it until I read your posting.  

At first I thought the noise I was hearing was actually an outside noise but then I noticed that I could still hear it no matter where I was.  It took me a long time to accept that my head was making a noise which I could not get away from.  I cannot remember the first time I noticed it, but know that I've had it more than 10 years.

I have now accepted that these noises will be with me for ever but I have got more used to it and can cope well when I'm busy or out and about.  I find it very difficult to sleep and sometimes have to have the TV on to drown out the sounds.

You say that when you talk or the TV is on the noise stops.  Is it that the noise actually stops or is it that the other noises drown out the sound?

I hope the noise has stopped for you.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I developed a high pitch noise in my ear about a month ago and a few days afterwards I also developed this low rumbling/vibrating noise that sounds like a truck going past outside. Throughout the day I don't hear it (unless I sit and listen for it) as most day to day sounds seem to stop it - but when it is loud and I am watching TV, it disappears when someone is talking but then I hear it in between the voices. And the sound of my own voice also stops it. I can completely relate to what you are saying. I went to an ENT and he said my ears were fine... as I also have this high pitch noise I do think its another form of tinnitus. Its harder to deal with this low frequency noise than the high pitch - as soon as I lay down in bed at night it feels like my whole head is vibrating. Very annoying!! Going back to the GP and seeing a different ENT I think - this all started with a sinus infection - had two hearing tests and my hearing is above average - I was worried I'd damaged my hearing at my daughters birthday party or through partying at university over the years but who knows?! I just woke up one day with the ringing (when I had a sinus infection), assumed it would go once my sinuses cleared and its stayed along with the low rumble. Very annoying. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah...another thing you could try is to do gargles 1/4 peroxode and 3/4 water...the peroxide seems to help with infections and perhaps the e tube can improve its function.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.