Please help to get off Gabapentin

Posted , 6 users are following.

I need help getting off gabapentin 

I take 300 mg in the morning and 300 at night.

I would like to quit these pills.  I just want to be my old self again.  I was never in so much pain to be chained to a drug this.

Can someone please help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First get your doctor to give you a script for 100mg capsules. Then decrease by 100mg over a period of 4 weeks, once achieved that and if you are feeling okay, go down another 100mg over another 4 weeks.....it will take long, but I believe you will not have all the awful side effects of quitting.

• Posted

Hi Nancy, firstly my apologies for the italics, I can't switch it off!

I spoke to my gp yesterday about tapering from 900 mg a day and he advised me that 100 mg a week reduction would work without side effects . . . . I'm very sceptical about this - I tried once before and the side effects were awful, rapid eye movements, vertigo, nausea, I had a conversation with him about this but he is fairly adamant that this will work . . .  .am I too anxious about this or should I follow my instincts and take it much more slowly . . . my thinking is reduce by 100 mg, wait until my body gets used to that, then reduce by another 100 . . . .I'd value the opinions of others.

Thanks, Susan

• Posted

I would talk to your doctor about weaning off of them slowly.  I took Gabapentin, but only for a short time.  I realized right away it was not working for me, so I had no problems stopping it.  However, I was just reading posts last night in a Facebook group from individuals who had a terrible time getting off of it.  Everyone reacts to it differently.  I have been able to get off all prescription medications for fibromyalgia, except 1.  I am still on Effexor,  I tried to get off of it by weaning down my dose slowly.  I spent 2 and a half months doing it.  I got down to the lowest dose and when it was time to stop completely I still got sick.  So sick that when my doctor said I should just get back on it I said OK.  If I miss 1 dose I get sick.  I hate it.  Everything else I take are natural supplements and I want off the Effexor so bad, but don't know what else to do!!!  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Jeff, I am in the process of coming off of gabapentin.. 

would I be able to ask the side effects you had from gabapentin?? 

They caused me so much mental suffering it’s been awful. Can’t wait for them to be out my syestem so I can get my mind back! 

I hope this process ends quickly for you🙏 

• Posted

My max dose was 300mg a day, 3 capsules of 100mg. Only for couple months then tapered myself off over a week. It’s been 3 weeks since off the med, felt bad for a while but better since yesterday!

I would taper really slow, like Nancy says.. that will minimize the side effects. And once you’re off the medication, magnesium supplements help.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.