Please help UC with tenesmus

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is my first post. I have been told by my GI that I have UC. This literally happened 3 days ago and I’m having a terrible time. The symptoms are getting worse, I can’t work,

None of the medicine has kicked in. How long does it take to start working? I’m taking the anti inflammatories orally and through enema. The tenesmus is probably the worst part. I’ve had no D since this started , but I run to the bathroom about 20 times a day with urgency, and nothing happens but bleeding. Does anyone know how to treat this? I also suffer from bad anxiety and was agoraphobic. I’m so afraid of it happening again with this disease. I feel completely hopeless and like no one can help me. Any words of wisdom would be so appreciated 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there, it's very early days and the medication will help. even if this particular drug does not suit you, others will be tried until your condition settles. Meanwhile, take care with your diet, eat healthily and take note of anything that particularly upsets you.  Try to stay calm, anxiety will only worsen the condition. Drink plent of water and take exercise every day! It's a difficult time for you, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Speak to your doc, say how you feel and what the present meds are doing. Good luck and stay focused!

• Posted

Hi I would advise/urge  you to contact Crohn’s colitis uk website for practical advice & emotional support. Please keep up your fluids by drinking water & diaorylytes. I’m not sure whether the anti inflammatory meds should have stopped the bleeding by now, unfortunately you may need something stronger. Also give your IBD doctor/ clinic a call. Let us know how you get on. B

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear this has happened to you... the best advice my doctor gave me was I’ll feel worse before I felt better.  He was right but I have made massive improvements. I would say it was 3 weeks for me to start feeling better, but only after being put on quite a lot of meds, I’m hoping for remission soon.  

As with many things there can be a little trial & error to see what works for you.  I was trying meds for 8 months before I was admitted to hospital and put on an aggressive course of treatment.  

Just hang in there and, as easy as it is for me to say, try not to panic... stay positive and hopefully the meds will work for you soon. 

I can’t speak about agoraphobia but if you are feeling nervous about leaving the house with the urgency I would recommend planning your journeys with toilets in mind and wear a pad... however with the bleeding (I was bleeding A LOT) I never leaked, even though I thought I would. As far as I’m aware, You can also get a toilet pass which you can show to jump the queue or show to business to request to use their toilets

There are websites like https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk for advice 

There are a few support groups on Facebook 

Do your homework but only from reputable/official sites

Talk to your ibd nurses

I hope you’ll find remission soon. 

Sending you wishes of good health

• Posted

Unfortunately, this horrible illness can take time before you get it under control.  Tenesmus is an awful symptom - try not to strain.  It may sound ridiculous but if you can do that, it can help with the bleeding.  Talk to your doctor and get her/him to check that you don't have an infection.  I also suggest that you contact the crohn's and colitis society.  They are very helpful.  I wish you well coping with your symptoms and please, get in touch with your doctor or consultant if you feel that your anxiety is getting worse.  All good thought and wishes to you.  JeanieG.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about you .I haveA friend that say Humira have helped them to stay in remission exercise and diet helps also.It gets better.I was like you when first diagnosed I was afraid to eat out because of the bathroom situation,it got better.

• Posted

It takes a while for the medicine to kick in, and the meds you are on now may be changed yet again until your doctor finds the right treatment for you. I developed UC in 2001 and suffered quite a bit. I have been in remission for 2 years now and still have symptoms from time to time. Just hang in there, eliminate stress and get a doctor that really cares!
  • Posted

Hi hope the medication works .it .of it not work tho just depends how bad it is I had uc was in hospital 7 days steroid treatment , inflimab. But never worked had to have emergency surgery to remove my colon .it sounds horrific but having a colostomy bag is more of a life than living with uc .that's me back at the gym lifting weights and swimming for my cardio can eat what I want drink alcohol ect without having flare ups life is back to normal so if this does end up being an option believe me it will be ok . But hope it all goes well for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.