Please help what is this pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm 2 weeks post op from having a lateral malleolus fracture of my right ankle. I'm getting this pain on the outside bone, the one that sticks out lol it feels like it's rubbing on an open wound and rubbing on the bone. It's not constant but when it does happen no matter where I put my foot it won't ease it. It's really starting to get me down. I had a plaster back slab and now I have a fiberglass one and I'm still getting it.

Any help would be great

Thanks Janelle

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No matter what you have on your leg, ankle its going to be uncomfortable.Call your surgeons office and ask them to look at it again.

I had to have 3 re-done because they were done quickly was one and the second one slipped.

If they aren't on right they are uncomfortable.

You shouldn't be able to move your ankle in the cast. Fiberglass or whatever.

Good luck! ******

• Posted

I ended up going back as well just couldn't take it , they put a new fiberglass one on which is still doing the same thing but not as often. I have my 6 week post op tomorrow and hopefully walking out of there . Where are you on your recovery?

• Posted

I'm glad you went back I'm 13 weeks post fusion and tendon repairs. I was non weight bearing until after my 12 week xray. Now im struggling to mobilise as I cant use crutches. First day I just did 6 lots of standing with full weight through the ankle for a few minutes at a time, I then walked about 20 paces. I found this very difficult as there was a very tight pain across the top of my foot and down the left hand side. After this I then iced my ankle and kept it elevated. I have done this every day increasing the walking and using ice and elevating in between each set of walking. My foot which was rigid has now got some mobility towards the instep. I am massaging my foot and ankle and using an ibuprofens gel. I am expecting this to be a much longer road to recovery than I had first thought .

• Posted

I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM sorry caps on. in my plaster I had it taken off because of this problem and then went into an aircast boot, still had the problem so figured out where i was being rubbed and got my husband to cut out the area with his dremel and smooth it. I was worried as it exposed part of the airbag. It worked, what a relief mine was rubbing on the inside bone of my ankle. it was unbearable, more of an issue than the ankle fusion! I imagine in the plaster dept they could cut you out a window. HOPE THAT HELPS sorry my i pad keeps caps on.

• Posted

Crazy isn't it that it can hurt more than the actual injury . I'm not sure what an air cast boot is, I've have plaster back slabs and fiberglass

• Posted

if it really hurts in one spot then get the plaster dept. to take a look, good luck. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.