Please, I need feedback!... had ORIF- what is normal when you are supposed to start FWB?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Almost 9 weeks post-op, was told to wean off of crutches and boot early last week and to start FWB (without boot at home. Wear boot to go out and to use one crutch, yeah right!) . OMG, the pain when I step down, every time! I expected it to be uncomfortable but not so painful! I thought I had a high tolerance for pain! Every morning I wake up thinking today there will be less pain, but no, I step down out of bed and I am in tears, same pain level, no improvement. I go to PT and excercise my ankle daily. I don't return to PT till mid next week. I will discuss this with PT, but when I mentioned it before, he said it would improve as I continue to put weight on it. I guess my question is, is this normal to feel this much pain? Shouldn't I be feeling less each day??? Any insight is greatly appreciated because I am feeling really defeated at this point. Thank you!

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh yeah, I was told at around 8 Weeks to fully bear weight (at home) on my right foot ( I had double ankle breaks: surgery on left closed reduction on right: used boots and NWB for 6 Weeks)

So I went home and started walking on my right leg and OMG the pain, I put that boot back on and ignored the doctor.  Now at almost 10 Weeks I tried it again and have very limited pain.  Some soreness and cramping but not that burning ache and throbbing stabbing pain from before.  I say listen to your pain, it is telling you something- maybe STOP, maybe slowdown,  or like me, try again in a week or two...... we all have some degree of soft tissue damage along with our break, I think my bone was healed, but those stabilizing soft tissues were not ready yet.  

I will do the same when he says to bear weight on my left leg.  If it hurts too bad I will do it when I’m ready.  

And I don’t want to take extra meds just to walk, I’m supposed to be cutting back on my pain meds and switching to just Tylenol, which I am, but that’s hard to do if I’m asking more from my body then it’s ready for.  

Best of luck,  sorry I sound like such a rebellious patient!

• Posted

OMG! You poor thing! You have so much going on at one time! Talk about double whammy! I almost feel like I have no right to complain, lol. Thank you for your advice. I will definitely listen to my pain. The way the doc and PT came across, it was like I should have no problem with FWB a little discomfort. It has been comforting to learn that it is normal to have this much pain when starting this process of walking. Thank you for your input. Best wishes for an easy recovery! Keep us posted!

Andrea

• Posted

I was 10 weeks when i started PWB- did 25% for a week, up to 50% and so on.... I was FWB in about 2-3 weeks.  I was 'late' w/ starting wt bearing due to poor wound healing so was NWB for longer than normal.  Not sure why you still have a lot of pain... I had my hardware out at 9 mos for pain - but I can tell you that I am now 2 years out and still have some pain though I have PTT and early arthritis.   It is a crummy injury.  I am used to my new normal now - and make the best of it.  Recently broke my other ankle (bimalleolar) so am starting this challenge again.. almost 2 years to the date of my first break.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I can't believe you broke your other ankle! You poor thing! Living the nightmare all over again! Do you need surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.