Please need reasurance !!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I ve been on ven for 5 weeks. 4 1/2 at 75 + and 13 days on 150. I have had some good days.

I'm also on 45mg of mirtazapine as well.

Yesterday and today I have felt very low and anxious. I can t stop crying and am not functioning.

I tried citalopram for 5 months and it made me worse and stopped that 5 weeks ago when I started the ven. So scared this will not work either as I would expect to feel this bad a month in and nearly 2 weeks on 150. Felt great on monday !

Please any experience or input would be very much appreciated. I am panicking.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I've been on 150mg Venlaflaxine for about eight weeks now and like you I'm not feeling as good as I thought I would. But there are subtle changes, being more sociable, an interest in sorting my house out. I still feel anxious in the mornings and am not very motivated. I have to really push myself to do things. Someone told me it can take up to three months to really kick in in some people.13 days isn't very long at all and I think you just have to go with it and try to think positively but I know how hard that is. I have times when I think "this medication isn't working and I'm going to come off it" but I'm still going to give it a bit more time. Here if you need someone to talk to. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah, please don't despair, there is something out there that will suit you. Venlafaxine is usually prescribed to those who are resistant to other tablets but it does not come without its problems.

Unfortunately, when this drug is prescribed little information is given to the patient about the side effects and out of all the anti-depressant medication, venlafaxine has the worst 

Tell yourself that it is just the tablets that are making you feel this way and not your depression. The tablets will take at least 6 weeks to get into your system despite you having been on Citapropram previously. If you still have these symptoms in a couple more days then return to your g.p and suggest something else, bearing in mind the reduction process when terminating venlafaxine.

I have been on Venlafaxine for the best part of 10 years and have now reduced from 187.5 to 37.5. I tried before but was unsuccessful. It is early days but I still have some hope yet.

Please keep me posted and if not keep talking to someone, anyone who will listen and don't feel that you are on your own, there's thousands of us out here in your boat. 

• Posted

Thank you for your replies.

If it is side effects should they wear off. It has been 2 weeks now on 150mg. I have had some good days.

• Posted

Im in same position but cannot face starting the venlafaxine. Any help appreciated
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I think we are in similar positions, I was also on citalopram before switching to Venlafaxine.

I too am on 150mg per day and have been on them for 4 weeks. I'm still having ups and down. I know the tabs are working as they snap me out of worrying and irrational thought when they are working but when they are not my god do I think they are not working and every what if comes into my head.

Can I ask if you are on immediate release tablets or ER tabs and what condition you have please?

• Posted

Hi James

I am on extended release and on them for post natal illness....mostly anxiety with moderate depression. I also take mirtazapine and diazepam. I am worried about how many meds I am on.

I have been on 150 for 24 days now and there has been a definite improvement. I am coping better but like you I suddenly stop coping. I am hoping it is teething problems. I am still struggling to go out. It is odd how I can feel really ok then like I ll never be ok again. It is working much better than citalopram which was like poison to me.

• Posted

I woundnt worry to much about the tablet amount. The doctors would let you know if there was a problem. I'm on 6 tablets a day for thyroid and migraine also. As long as they all do the trick I'm happy. I'm suffering with generalised anxiety disorder. I too feel exactly the same, one hour I can go to the shop and not care about who I see or what I look like and feel more confident and secure. Almost normal. Then I can go out and worry about all sorts. I feel It's very hard when you are in the middle of feeling and thinking very anxious to be rational and realise it's only the tablets levelling out. Are you the same? I'm going to give it 6 weeks and then up to 225mg if I'm not 100% by then.

• Posted

I'm the same. Some of my physical symptoms pre date the ven so think of it more like the tablets working then not as the levels adjust. I have a particular problem with head sensations. When my head feels clear I think the ven is working when it feels dizzy and heavy they are not.

• Posted

Yeah I get them too, I hear clicking in my head almost like pressure being released.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.