Please please help!! advice needed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I have just been diagnosed with an over active thyroid at 23

Ive always been really fit and active and then over a period of time ive just become exhausted all the time and struggled to do the norm things like look after the horses etc

my other symptoms included exhaustion

what i though was IBS

Very over sensitive/emotional

headaches

light periods etc

rushing

and anxiety-i thought i was about to have a nervous breakdown seriously

Also i have had a partner for four years-and ive never become pregnant?-i believe this is also related??

I think its has also made me gain a little weight too

What id like to know is carbimazole going to make me gain weight???

Or will i lose what i put on when my thyroid stabilizes??

Im so paranoid about gaining weight please help!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi, i too have an over active thyroid. initially i was on 40mg carbimizole but, that has now been reduced to 5mg. i lost 2 stone & have hardly gained any weight carbimizole doesnt neccessarily make you put on weight. i had all the symptoms you have & more but, these do get better. carbimizole can take up tp 8 weeks to start working so hang in there it wll get better. elaine.
  • Posted

I gained about 1.5 stone due to not being able to stop eating and craving carbs. I've been on meds for 3 months and my levels are back within the normal range now. For the last 3 to 4 weeks it has been great 'cos I've felt sooo much better, although my energy and strength are still pretty rubbish. Mind you, most people would be the same if they'd spent most of the last 5 months being able to do little more then sleep.

Anyway, my point is that since I've felt better my appetite has also gone back to normal so although I could still easily eat loads, I don't have to so can finally control my diet. I've also started to lose weight and around 7lb lighter so only another stone to go to get back to my normal weight. I've also asked my endo if I can start exercising now without any detriment to my health and he says I can!! So my next task is to start building on my strength and stamina (oh, and my flexibility 'cos I'm a bit stiff now as well!).

I didn't ever think I'd be well again and was convinced I'd end up a porker to boot! My main thing now is making sure it doesn't go back up again now that my meds are starting to be decreased by 5ml every 2 months from now on.

Regards,

Shaz x

• Posted

hi, really pleased you are feeling better.i have gone under due to having been giving high dose of carbimizole as my level was very high 83 !!!!! so not feeling gr8 at the moment but, a lot better to how i was. good you have your weight controlled as this thyroid can yo yo you either way. well take care. elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Well, I'm still feeling pretty good although I haven't quite gotten around to the exercise yet, but I'm much more active and concentrating more on using my energy for family outings and sorting all the stuff that got put in drawers whilst I was ill!!!

I'm sorry to hear that your levels have gone under. My endo said that although mine were still higher than he'd like, by reducing my meds now would hopefully stop me going under but there's also more chance of them going back up as well.

I made sure I got a list of what my levels have been over the last 6 months so that I know where they need to be for optimum health. I feel that this will give me more control over my health as I'll be able to tell the doctor what I need if I ever get taken off the endos books.

I have been a little concerned over the last week though as my apetite has increased again and I'm struggling to sleep at night. I'm hoping it's just that I'm more active and that my mind is racing 'cos I have been able to do things so I'm kind of excited each night at what I can achieve the next day. That's not to say that I'm overdoing it, I'm getting plenty of rest and I've refused to re-take control of anything that other people have managed well enough without me (like my husband shopping!).

I have decided that if I start to feel really tired at any time then I'll be getting my blood test sooner than planned (the reason I made sure I knew what my levels should be).

Take care,

Shaz x

• Posted

Hi k8cat01

I know this thread os a bit old now so not sure if you will still check this. I have been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid too about at the beginning of March. I too have very similar symptoms as you had, I just wondered how you were feeling now? I cant see any light at the end of this tunnel! Just want my normal life back.

I hope you are well

Ellen

• Posted

I was diagnosed beginning of april.I wouldjust like to say thereare others out there, there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel.Stay positive Iknow its hard when you feel rubbish. How long haveyou been on meds?
  • Posted

I was diagnosed mid-March so there are quite a few of us out there. Good to know that there are others to share the good and bad days with.

LindaP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.