Please please help is this atrial fibrillation?? Scared!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello!!

I was really really hoping someone could help me understand what's happening? I am a 20 year old female and I have spent the last two nights unable to sleep because of my heart. The beat feels irregular, starting out seemingly racing, slowing if I focus on my breathing but then pounding really hard, and if I stress out too much it builds to something that feels like an awful electric shock, radiating from my chest around my whole body. It is fine in the day or when I am focused on other things, but when I try and go to sleep it is unbearable particularly when I start to get anxious about it.

I had the same thing around the same time last year (it might be to do with the big end of uni celebration weekend??) and it got slowly better over a week or two and then stopped, but a less bad version is sometimes brought on after a big night.

I've spent these nights obsessively searching google for anything that sounds similar, and the closest thing I've found is LAF, although no one seems to mention the electric shock type thing??

Can anyone please help me with any information or advice?? I'm really really scared reading about strokes and blood clots and i don't know when I'll next get to sleep and it's absolutely impossible to get into my doctors

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I should have also maybe said this is accompanied by a feeling of dizziness and throbbing head, which I think may also be symptoms?
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

It sounds similar to AF but more like tachycardia brought on by overdoing it and caffeine/ alcohol and a bit of panic mixed in.

The reason I say this is my daughter 27 now has the same symptoms even the electric shock and has been diagnosed as tachycardia. It is very common in girls of your age and has been told she will grow out of it which seems to be the case as she hasn't mentioned it lately. Hers started 5 years ago.

So less partying and more studying lol good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sarah. You cannot and should not diagnose yourself using google. You need to be seen by a doctor and have tests done. Hopefully everything is fine and you will then know for sure. If it is AF or another cardiac arrthymia then you need to get on with treatment. See a doctor-or go to an emergency department asap. Your health and mental state are very important. I should know as I'm a nurse. Good luck and get it diagnosed properly!
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

All I can say is ditto to what Robyn has said never never diagnose yourself using Google. make an app to see your GP or as Robyn says go to A&E when its happening, sounds a bit like panic attacks made worse by what you are reading on Google.

Good luck

L.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

It may well be AF or it may be something else. Dont ever try to diagnose yourself. Dr Google is OK as somewhere to get info or to learn, but when it's your health and especially your heart you should be seeing a Dr.

Your heart is your bodys best friend. Treat it with care.

• Posted

Mmmm... self diagnosis using the internet is very dodgy! Suggest you go see your GP before you precipitate any more anxiety in yourself! Getting yourself stressed can lead to all sorts of things

But even if it was very early AF/arrthymia (sp?) theres nothing to worry about.! What youre looking at on this post is a mix of people in different stages of AF over time. In my case 30 years, others have only been just diagnosed...go to your doc!, 

• Posted

then go to the ER when this happens. u need an ekg to fondirm afib. u r right, the biggest concern is a steoke because the heart isnt pumping efficiently and a clot will be thrown. they will put u on meds immediately to prevent this and u will get a consult with a docotr immediately without waiting.

afib is common but must be treated. it sounds like a combination afib and a panic attack which is reasonable. people have afib for years and do fine. i am 68. but there are very young people who get it and it is hardly ever life threatening. go to ER for a diagnosis when this happens. go ahead and make a regular dr. appt in case the appt comes before another episode.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I feel that you really should go and have this checked out by your GP,it does sound as if it could be AF but really should be thinking of having an EGC and your Blood pressure taken,if it happens again phone 111 they will advise you of the best action to take or failing that go to A and E.

• Posted

where r u people at when u say dial 111? and what is A&E. just

curious what part of the world i am talking with. anybody from KY?

• Posted

Hi,

If people on the forum refer to 111 or A&E  they are in the UK  111 is a service available for advice and to direct you to the most appropriate servive for your needs. Rather than ringing 999 that is for life threatening emergencies, A&E is Accident and Emergency.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

L.

• Posted

Sarah, I can understand why u would be scared. As everyone else has said, you need to see a doctor asap. They will schedule the kind of tests necessary to diagnose what is wrong with you. Don't wait. Do it now. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes, definitely get it checked out. Looking back, wI was dismissive(and in a bit of denial). I now believe that I was probably getting bouts of AF that self corrected after a while(probably for years). Then after a really big night out Afib & tachycardia came to stay. I still dismissed it as the flu or a virus ( or was just 'dragging' myself to the 'finish line'/ end of the year: I'm a school teacher).

Anyway, after a couple of weeks of feeling lousy(and getting worse) my wife called an ambulance to me. Ignoring my symptoms had led to my left ventricle becoming severely enlarged!

I'm lucky and have made a good recovery, but can now really aware of the extra stain that consuming alcohol(and presumably other substances) can place on the heart. One or two drinks seems OK for me at the moment, but anymore than this starts to increase my heart rate (by up to 20-30 bum).

• Posted

Sorry, that should be bpm!! ( bloody iPads & auto correct!!)
  • Posted

Sarah, did you partake in any of the energy drinks that are so popular nowadays with the younger crowd? I'm talking about Monster and Rockstar etc. I drank something like that a few years ago on consecutive days, and was going to go to the gym and workout, but never made it. It triggered my afib and I still have it to this day. That was 5 years ago. I normally does not bother me too much, but my life would be a bit simpler without it. I would recommend not taking caffein in any form and, as others have recommended, see your doctor. Also have them look at your calcium levels. If they are high, you may have parathyroid issue, which can be easily dealt with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.