Please please help me I'm so down x

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please can someone help I'm getting myself so worked up that there's something sinister going on inside, I keep getting a constant lump feeling in my throat eases when I eat/drink but I can still feel it like something is stuck.I'm so scared it's something bad I was diagnosed with having acid reflux can this contribute? Also I have a feeling that there's something sticking out of my left hand rib cage at the bottom like I have to push it back in! Has anyone else had this??? Doctor has examined me and says tummy is all nice and soft no lumps or strange feeling there. Ecgs all ok bp all ok blood tests all ok I'm getting myself so worked up I really am. Would anything sinister show up on blood tests (I had lots).Thankyou for taking the time to listen any help would be hugely appreciated xxx

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You need some relaxing time to get you mind of you anxiety ridden ruminations.  Obessive thinking/OCD keeps us trapped in these vicious cycles of anxiety.  Another thing to try is meditation.  I know it is not easy.  You have to try.  Find a nice guided meditation online, put your head phones and listen.  When you find you mind wondering back to your anxiety thinking "something is wrong with me, could it be this, or that?" Don't get mad at yourself, you new, and it is very normal for us with anxiety to have short attention spans. Do you best to not be judgemental about yourself and what your doing, then try to refocus your mind to listening to what the guided meditation is tell you to do. Hope this works.  My anxiety is so bad I have to take medications.  Consult your doctor.  Maybe have your thyroid checked out to rule out it hyper or hypo.  Thyroid gland plays an important role in controlling all of our body chemisty.  Wish you the best!
    • Posted

Thankyou so much! My thyroid came back all normal had this checked with bloods. It's this lump it's driving me crazy totally feel like something is stuck x
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

Sounds a lot like anxiety. People with anxiety often become so in tune with their bodies that they notice every little feeling and the anxiety causes it to blow up and become much worse in our heads than it really is. You mentioned you had acid reflux. Acid reflux can sometimes cause an array of symptoms including chest pain, throat issues...couple this with an anxious mind and suddenly the symptoms are magnified and you get that lump feeling. Take assurance with all the tests your doctor conducted and just remember they were all normal. Those types of tests are also usually very accurate so I highly doubt it missed something. Just breathe deep and remind yourself that you're healthy and that the major issue is anxiety which is only as bad as you let it be.

• Posted

Thanks Tom so much, do you know if blood tests can pick up anything sinister? I may try some cbt therapy my sister swore by it x
    • Posted

Depends which types of blood tests you had but in general blood work tends to be very revealing. If there was something major it most likely would see it. I've heard CBT is a great tool as well for people who deal with anxiety. I am currently looking into starting it myself. Like you I've had several tests done (for my heart)..all were completely normal yet a year later my anxiety is sneaking it's way back in trying to convince me my heart is having issues. It's an irrational thought but it does drive you cray so I can relate to how you feel. Look into that CBT though. It can't hurt to try it!
    • Posted

Yes thanks Tom my sister has reccomended it so I may just try that!Bloods covered quite a bit all major organs , thyroid , red and white cells platelets etc so would that be enough to pick anything bad up
    • Posted

Yea absolutely those tests would catch something bad ..thyroid and white cell tests can reveal a lot if something is wrong. I would say trust the tests and try to calm your mind. Hang in there! You'll be ok 👍
    • Posted

Anytime! Feel free to message if you ever need anything else. Anxiety can suck but it always helps to know that you don't have to fight it on your own.
    • Posted

Thankyou Tom! So you think the lump feeling is all down to anxiety as if I think about it it's there I suppose I need to think of it was anything bad there would be other signs right? I sound so silly don't I
    • Posted

You don't sound silly at all. I've been in your shoes. Your brain ends up racing with all these ideas..it's the anxiety. And yes, if it was anything bad you'd notice so much more. The lump in your throat is a BIG common symptom of anxiety. And again, seeing as you had several tests done which showed nothing bad id say this is all down to anxiety. I'm no doctor and if you hadn't seen a doctor yet I'd suggest doing so just for peace of mind. But you did all that, so you're going to be fine
  • Posted

hi Emma, yes i usedto have that symptom thinking there was something stuck in my throat. its a classic sign of anxiety. youhave nothing to worry about, there is nothing wrong with your throat. try and take excercise or talk to someone about your negative thoughts. im thinking you could have ocd. ive been there and still m in many respects. but dont beat yourself up, youre physically fine according to your doctor. take care.smile
  • Posted

Hi emma69339  I have just read your posting, and, just like others have said, you are not alone. over the past few weeks I have suffered a whole variety of worrying thoughts about my health, but then I discovered the

Northumberland Tyne and Wier NHS self-help leaflets. I read the one on Health anxiety and it helped me a lot, give a try, Take care PIP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.