Please read... I need healp!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m 25 year old male 6,3" 300 pound but I carry it well for my height. For the last couple months I've been having issues sleeping. I get shortness of breath and it feels like my heart is stopping! I then open my eyes quickly when I feel this and I see a flash of light... then I can’t go back to sleep scared I might die.... I have 5mg valium but I don’t take them when I need them because I’m afraid I’ll get addicted to them and I also start thinking they will slow down my heart to the point I die in my sleep.. Please if anyone has any insight it would be great! I’ve been to the ER for EKG’s and nothing comes up! Several MRI's Cat scans you name it I’ve done it! I want to give up its driving me crazy! My doctors always say I have nothing how could this be? sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Miguel,

Are you on any type of antidepressent.  That is probably what you need.  I have been also strugging but I don't hesitate to take a xanax when I need it.  I was through this 20 years ago and paxil kept me good.   But it wore out so I 'm back with you.  I know it was easy to get off the xanax once you get straightened out.  Go to a therapist or GP and get started on an antidepressent.  I am in the process of fidning the right one.  I know how you feel.  Some days I feel like I can't go on.  But you will.  Have faith that there is a medicine out there that will end this for you.  Keep coming here to talk with others who are in the same boat as you.  Hugs, Sue

• Posted

Hey Susan, are you the same person I talked to about my Paxil quit working? If not, what did you do when your Paxil quit working?
  • Posted

Well, if your heart stopped, for one thing, you're not gonna feel it. The light flash is very common with anxiety. Your heart can pull All kind of tricks on you..and still be OK. Have you had this before? Or only since two months ago? It would be better to go ahead and take the valium and get some sleep. It won't relax your heart too much. If a prescription dose of a muscle relaxer can't kill you then good old valium sure can't. Going without sleep IS very dangerous. It affects your thinking, driving, and eventually your heart. Have you changed jobs lately or had a relationship end? You aren't dying, but there is something else going on you have to address. Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Obtw, you said you were afraid of becoming addicted. If you have had any problems in the past with that then please let your Dr know. :-)
  • Posted

Hey guys thanks for the reply... the heart issue has been going on and off for the last 2 or 3 years
  • Posted

have you thought about sleep apnoea, that stops you breathing in your sleep and you wake up in the night. You may need to lose some weight and use a cpap machine until your situation improves.

rich

• Posted

Miguel have you ever thought about having a sleep study test done? I know of another guy that use to be on medication for psychiatric issues and he had a sleep study test done and that was his problem. Maybe you're not getting enough air and your body is waking you up. Do you ever snore? If you do, then you definitely need to have a sleep study done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.