Please reassure me :(

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I had a bad dose of anxiety in 2014, i was put on citalopram but had horrendous side effects and wouldn't continue with them, i was put on fluoextine which worked wonders. Suddenly, this week, I have had panic attacks every hour, they wake me up, its horrdenous. I went to GP who's prescribed me 20mg citalopram starting Sunday (need a couple of days drug free before i start)  Can anyone tell me if they will stop my anxiety attacks? I get hot,sweaty, thinking things out of my control. Its ruining my life.

Please, advice much appreciated

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura, I was on them for about 10 years for anxiety and came off them Feb this year, but then my anxiety went through the roof, so i have now gone back on them, I started on 10mg and then went up to 20mg, they really do work once you have got through the side effects, I am only in week 2 the only side effect I am having is my anxiety is really bad (which is a side effect at first), but I know it will get easier, so stick with it and remember it will get better :-)

• Posted

Dawn thank you so much,

Did you suffer with anxiety attacks? I am so scared of taking the first one sunday, i couldn't sleep last time, did you suffer with insomnia?

• Posted

Not Anxiety attacks as such, just generalised anxiety disorder, trouble breathing, tight chest, inside of my body shaking, irritable etc, did not have a problem with insomnia but ssaying that I know I shouldn't drink of them but I do and I think that knocks me out, not that I am suggesting you drink on them it is not good, but I have always drunk a bottle of wine per night, that is another thing that I will be tackling when the pills have calmed down smile

• Posted

Everyone is different re side effects hun, but it will get better, i was told of an anxiety pill call escitalopram which is a newer pill and has less side effects and works straight away, might be worth seeing if your doc will give you them instead, I reckon they are dearer though as my doc would not give them to me.

• Posted

Thank you so much, I feel like its never going to go away. its ruining my life. knot in my stomach, unable to eat, sleep. Heart racing, x

• Posted

I promise you it will go away, trust me I have been there, it is the most horrible feeling in the world but it will go away and you will feel normal again, and with Citalopram (well it did with me anyhow) it will get worst until it gets better, I am 2 weeks in and though not 100% there i feel a lot better x

• Posted

Hi Laura

Yes they will work, but you have to give them a long time.  They're not an overnight fix, but they will work in time as they need to build up in your body.

Recovery also comes in patches for most people - feeling good one day, bad the next, feeling good for a few weeks, not so good for the next few, or maybe a bad morning followed by a good afternoon.  This can happen repeatedly over a few months ....... it's just your body settling down.

I was ill with anxiety and depression for 15 years, and as soon as I started on SSRI's I started to recover.  It took about 3-4 months before I felt anything, then around 6 months when I was feeling good.  It's worth the wait.  I've now been recovered for about 18 years and still take them, but now only 5mg.

Its a tough journey on the meds, but keep persevering and don't give up on them - they will work for you.

K x

• Posted

Thank you Kate. Did you suffer with general anxiety? and attacks? I took citalopram a long time ago, and fluoextine after my last bad doo, which really helped but suddenly not affective anymore. I am due to start 20mg cit on Sunday, i'm hoping the transition wont be too bad as i have fluoextine in my system. I really hope they calm me down enough to sleep.xx

• Posted

Yes I did - was scared of so many things and had constant anxiety which lasted years.  It never ceased, only got worse or eased a bit, but never went away.  I hated being in my own as having people around helped.  I had a couple of years when it disappeared, but came back again, and I also had both my children whilst I was ill.

I'd been on general anti-depressants, but only got better when I started SSRI's.

Remember that starting meds, you may feel worse before you feel better, but of course as you're already on meds you may not feel that.  If you do start feeling worse, remember it's only the meds side effects and it will wear off.  After that you just have to keep persevering on the meds ..... it's a long haul, but worth it.

K x

• Posted

Hi Laura

I am on day 16 of taking 20mg of citalopram and I feel the same, so scared of everything, HATE being on my own, sleep not great, no appetite I have lost a stone in 2 weeks, my anxiety is awful this morning and I am very emotional, already been crying, I don't want to go out anywhere I just want to stay in my house and not speak to anyone, my dr said it takes 3-4 weeks for meds to kick in so I'm counting the days but family support is very important too

I had dreadful anxiety in 2009, and was put on citlaopram and I improved amazing but came off it to have my children It will get better I did but I have had set backs, but I know it will get better

Keep your chin up I am trying too xx

• Posted

Thank you, i wish you all the best. I hope it gets better sad xx

• Posted

Have you tried Valium?  It's more of immediate relief when you need it ASAP.  If you haven't, ask Doc about trying it.  

But make sure there's no other drugs you take that might not mix well.

AND DONT DRINK ALCOHOL with Valium or Xanax, etc.

And try to only use it when you REALLY need it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.