PLEASE RESPOND! Blood Vessel Constriction???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

I've suffered with health anxiety for a very long time and I'm seeking some assistance in wondering if anybody has ever got numb tingly legs, feet, arms and hands from anxiety. My fingers seem very sensitive to anxiety and one of my worries is how a lot of the time my hands sort of have little white blotches on them, often when they're clammy. I think I have been breathing wrong for a while so I'm attempting deep breathing to try and open up my blood flow again as I'm in a constant state of worry. I've been getting numb legs for a month or two and it's moved into my arms and fingers, specifically my index finger. When I try the deep breathing it makes me yawn a fair amount, maybe from the lengthy time of breathing incorrectly?

If anybody has had any experiences like this or knows anything about it please respond. Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What I think is that anxiety is similar to that "Fight or Flight" response to danger, real or imagined. There is a "stress hormone" that secretes into the bloodstream to bring about specific physiological, psychological, and emotional changes that enhance the body’s ability to deal with a threat—to either fight with or flee from this "danger" you imagine.

While the fight or flight response changes are active, they can cause a wide range of sensations and symptoms, including having cold hands and feet (or just cold hands, or just cold feet). As long as the fight or flight response is active, your cold hands and feet can persist, if you've had this for months, it's no wonder you can't get to warm up. Deep breathing is good for relaxation, and can lower stress, but I don't think it "opens up your blood flow"  This is why when people are nervous, they can have cold hands and feet. I hope you're able to see a doctor about this anxiety, it makes me have anxiety even thinking about yours! I have been taking Klonopin for anxiety now for years and years. If you have an anxiety disorder, you need treatment. It will change your life. Don't suffer in silence. Also, not being a doctor, there might be another reason for the cold feet and hands. Check in with a clinic and describe how you suffer and worry. If they are human, they'll help. 

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your advice! I am currently seeing a doctor and am just waiting for some blood test results!
    • Posted

I'm really glad to hear that. My feet and hands get cold too when I'm having a bad anxiety attack. Then, I just pop a Klonopin. My stomach also feels it's been connected to electricity. The feeling is horrible. I know there are worse disorders people can have but those that don't suffer with anxiety have no idea how horrible it is and how it just hits you and knocks you down. 
  • Posted

Hi, I am part in agreement with livinex but I think you should see your doctor as soon as possible. I can understand the numbness in some areas but not in others. You say you have suffered from your problems for a very long time what would be interesting to know is what your sleep patterns are like.  In the meantime get that appointment.
  • Posted

Your body must yawn when you do deep breathing excercises correctly (usually breathe in for a certain count, hold for a certain count and breathe out for a certain count) doing this 5 times will make your body automatically yawn and it's a good thing. As far a numbness. Do you find yourself keeping your arms, legs, fingers etc. in the same positions for long periods of time? I had numbness in my toes and found that I was literally crushing them with my other foot and leg. I was unaware I was doing this as I was 100% ore-occupied with my anxiety and depression. The fight or flight response by luvinlex sounds like the most plausible though imo. Always good to see your doc as advised, but I like to research the cause before I go. I have been seeing doctors on and off (mainly "on", even going in to see a new one today after I lost my p-doc of 11 years). Many have been helpful, but I have found (as I am sure many of us have) that we know our own bodies best and that sometimes if we have another major conditions such as depression or anxiety, that these are often times used as "scapegoats" for the symptom we are coming to them for. I have type 1 diabetes and have had it since I was 13 (am 49 now). It never fails that everything I ask about is due to my diabetes in their eyes... 

Good luck, I will be thinking of you!

Laurie

• Posted

I get tingling in my hands sometimes when anxious, it's not always a bad thing though, it can be down from adrenalin. For instance, the other day I won £1000 on bingo, my hands sure went numb then but I wasn't anxious I was excited! It's your body's response to adrenaline and it pulls the blood from non-crucial areas in order to power more crucial ones.
  • Posted

ive had this before. ive had fingers so numb that my iphone didnt recognize my fingers as fingers. anxiety symptoms tend to go away once you convince yourself that they are just that, although new ones often pop up shortly after. i feel like i breathe incorrectly as well, so it probably has something to do with that. however ive gotten checked about the numbness and nothing is wrong. i rarely have that symptom anymore. if you already have bad anxiety, its probably just anxiety symptoms. doesnt hurt to get checked out though!
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your response! It's like my fingers have a thin layer of sweat or something and iPhone isn't letting me unlock it with my finger print!
  • Posted

Hi sam20378, I have a similar problem. I don't have diabetes, but eating sugar is my coping mechanism. I also get the tingling sensation and numbness from time to time, especially after sugar consumption.

But what's the worst, this vessel constriction for me happens mostly in my penis. At this point, it always looks as it was cold outside. It's shrunk and definitely doesn't get the blood supply it needs. Also my skin there is too tight and the testicles never hang, they are as close to the body as possible. This is driving me insane. Doctors are useless, as always.

• Posted

If we look at some point we all do feel anxious. The more important thing is dealing with it. And there are a number of ways one can follow like; breathing exercises, walks and some work out. Bathing with cold water also helps in lowering the heart rate and reduces anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.