Please share if my husband is dealing with liver issues based on symptoms.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I am posting concerned about my husband's health. He turns 49 this month.  I have a strong spiritual belief he has health problems after seeking guidance in our life in prayer.  We have been married almost 27 years and have faced many challenges along the way. He has always been a social drinker. Fun includes alcohol. He isn't a daily drinker and very seldom drank on work nights. Early in our marriage it was beer. He hurt his back and was off work for several years. Back surgery and pain pills lead to a tolerance addiction. This went on a while taking large amounts of hydrocodone. Very hard years while he was taking the pills.  He eventually realized he couldn't continue down the tolerance addiction path and sought help to come off the pills. He succeeded and never went back to them.  It wasn't long and he started drinking crown with a neighbor. His drinking pattern was the same as his beer pattern from previous years. Very seldom drinking on a work night. I have been concerned about his health for years but he always refuses to seek medical attention. Hindsight is 20/20 but I believe a lot of what i have witnessed over the years could be liver damage. The past few years have progressively gotten worse. The last year more and more. Almost as if going downhill. The past few weeks from prayer God is telling me it's his health. He has had high blood pressure and heart artery narrowing starting in his early 20's but has never followed up with a cardiologist. I've been asking him to go but he won't.  Symptoms over the last 2 years include stomach bloating, on and off nose bleeds, yellowing in his eyes, feet hurt a lot, bouts of loose stools. There has also been mental concerns and worse over the last year. Moody and irritable, but the last several months it's increased to confusion, forgetfulness and extreme fatigue that is getting worse. He also developed a decreased appetite over the last year. Many times only eating once a day or if a day he is drinking he wouldn't eat at all or after he drank. Many times over the last few months he acts in a stupor with slurred speech, even at times with this out of it stare, he will slowly drag himself around the house. Mostly staying in bed or recliner. He will say something in a confused state and not remember and has actually told me or tell me I am putting things in his head. This has been very confusing for me because when he is acting like this he is sober. I have seen behavior like that with the pain pills and depending on his level of intoxication but never sober like the last few months. His drinking has decreased some. He tells me sometimes he doesn't even feel like drinking, but then will sometimes. He can be completely normal and then have moments like this. Seems worse after he eats in the evening. Very seldom does he eat during the day at work. On his off day Monday we visiting that morning and he was fine. I go home for lunch and he ate shortly before I got there and was in the stupor almost as if I wasn't there and then was out. He drank sat evening and off and on Sunday but not to an intoxicated level. He also takes a bottle of 200 Aleve over a span every week and a half. I just recently started monitoring his aleve use. He has lots of body pains.  Please share your opinions. Could this be liver issues? Everything I have read yesterday seems like it could be but i thought asking people with real issues what they think.  I shared my concerns with him this week and he doesn't want to talk about it or go see a doctor. What do I do? Thank you. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Other new symptom over the last month is mocking something common for me to say. Example he looks at me and says I just want a hug. The way I say it and then just stares at me. Another time he said what to do a project? Just the way I say it and then I said yes what do you want to do and he said nothing. Just very odd. 
    • Posted

He isn't going to listen to me and won't go to the doctor. I've been concerned about his health and telling him something is wrong and he gets mad and says it's me. I don't drink. I cry all the time. It's like he has been changing right in front of me and I don't know what to do. Then he will act completely normal. Goes to work. His fatigue getting worse and worse. 

• Posted

I appreciate all your advice. I want him to get tested. I worry about his liver. Now all this. Sometimes his stomach gets so big it hard as a rock. The bloat varies. 
    • Posted

Is it typical loved ones only see this behavior? He is a mail carrier so he is on his own most of the day. The worst is usually after he eats. Like we have discussed he usually doesn't eat but in the evening. 

• Posted

The hepatic encephalopathy of cirrhosis is usually pretty profound and disabling, and usually lasts longer than a few hours per episode.  I guess it's possible he could work with mild encephalopathy, but typically there would be a lot of mistakes occurring.  

The swollen hard belly is also consistent with liver disease.  Not much you can do but wait until he has an acute episode that sends him to the hospital.  Speaking of which; if he ever starts vomiting (or defecating)  substantial amounts of blood, you must call 911 for an ambulance.  A massive GI bleed can kill in a couple hours time if not treated promptly.  

Hope he realizes the need for medical attention soon!  

• Posted

No offense meant by this what so ever.. but are you sure he’s not drinking alcohol more than you know?  
    • Posted

I'm sure he isn't. I can tell his behavior when he is going to drink. It's like a high. His mood lifts up. It's almost as if the so called hangover lingers until he drinks again. Almost slowly improving. Then he drinks and if it's a large amount the next few days are harder. Does that make sense?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.