please share some information

Posted , 4 users are following.

my mom diagnosed bronchiectasis for 12 yrs, dealing with antibiotic, fisiotherapy and nebulizer. now 100% depends on O2 tank, the extra mucus and phelm made her heart swelling. doctor adviced to do bronchoscopy to absorb the extra mucus, please tell me to go for it or not for 81yo mother. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. So sad for that situation. I am 50 yr old woman. I have asthma, bronchiectasis and pseudamonas aeruginosa. I have had 3 broncoscopies in the last 2 1/2 years. After 2 I felt MUCH better the next day. The 3rd one was really tough after. I had that one at a different hospital though. I was really scared when I woke up because it was hard to breathe. I ended up having a bad flare up of my pseudamonas from it and ended up on antibiotics for a month. I do believe I would be happy getting one again at my original hospital. My doctor did say I had "quite an impressive amount of secretions" in my lungs. I don't know if this helps you. Best of luck and prayers to you!

• Posted

Eko,

I have Bronchiectasis for years and am now 67. I have had nunerous bronchoscopies over the years. Normally, I would say she should have the bronchoscopy, but her age of 81 would concern me.  

I have always had general anesthsia when I had mine done. And other than having a minor sore throat for a day or two, I was fine. I have always done fine with having anesthesa.  I have read on this forum, that some people have had them with only a local anesthsia and it was uncomfortable.

So, I'm sure, the doctors will weight in the factors of your mom's age to the benefit of having the procedure.

Beth

• Posted

The procedure will most likely help her breath easier, but it is a decision that only the two of you can make. How does she feel about it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.