Please, some advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning, I would just like to get a little info on some other long term effects of reflux other than the usual heartburn from anyone willing to share their story with me. I have had horrific acid reflux since tge start of 2016, I mean I get bad heartburn minimum 5 times a day. I never bothered with the doctor until later on in the year who put me on Lansoprazole 30mg (which have killed the heartburn completely) and have had an endoscopy I have a hiatus hernia. I am fine with all of this but there's something that I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing. A short time after I started to suffer with the heartburn I started to develop the urge to coughupon exhale. Not every exhale, but some, sometimes seems to depend on position I am in. Anyway, shortly after that developed I started feeling like my airways were restricting towards the end of a breath out. Now what I have after all the time with untreated heartburn is a slight wheeze, a minor whistle when I exhale, all the time. It's never not there. My breathing in general is fine, the doctor sent me for a chest X-ray of which I had 2 in 2016 both normal and says my chest sounds clear but the wheeze is there. Also tried me on an inhaler which did nothing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this wheeze and cough at all? Any input will be greatly appreciated thank you

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You can get astma with this acid reflux that's what probably what you have

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply. This was my initial thought, and my doctors, until the inhaler did nothing. I do not have any shortness of breath either
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

I have the wheeze, burning throat, mucous in in throat, but the worse thing for me is the chrome ice breathlessness, I don't caught at all, I do hav3 a small hiatus hernia but the throat and the breathlessness is intolerable to me.

• Posted

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me. I'm sorry to hear you suffer so badly. I do not suffer with exactly the same symptoms as you do but I guess everyone is different? Is your wheeze there constantly? The whistle I hear never goes. I have oesophagitis too. For me the heartburn and acid coming into my throats if I even bend over was the worst but thankfully the meds are keeping that at bay. Unfortunately though it returns if I stop taking them due to the hernia I guess. I was just. Oncerned that I have this wheeze and dry cough that seems to be permanent.

• Posted

Hi, yes I was getting the breathing problem, felt like a restriction not allowing a full breath to go in and wheezing when laying down, with the heartburn. Since cutting out carbs and sugar i just didn't get it anymore but after eating carbs and sugar at Christmas, it all came back. Have gone back to carb free eating today, so hopefully all will settle now. It works for me! good luck.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your response. There is a strict diet in place for me starting now, I was only diagnosed just before Xmas and I didn't want to hold back with food etc over that time. It seems this issue can cause quite a lot of trouble. Good luck with your no carbs and sugar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.