Please someone help!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Fusion of L 4&5 in 2010, some residual weakness and numbness which I expected for the rest of my life. over the past 3 months, I have noticed increasing pain, weakness, and decreased ROM on the "good". That leg has actually given out multiple times, causing me to fall. GP treated the pain short term until I could b seen by a new neurosurgeon. Come to find outas, per neurosurgeons policy, he does not prescribe anything for pain unless having immediate surgery. So now my GP won't prescribe, the neurosurgeon won't prescribe, and I'm left in excruciating pain with no help. Please please does someone have a solution for me????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why would a Dr not prescribe painkillers if you are in pain??? I don't get that.

I've just had the a similar op to you, ALIF L4-S1. I have numbness already from previous 2 surgeries and have more from this one. See surgeon 11th July.

I'd fight to get pain relief. Are you in the UK? Never ever heard of a GP not giving you painkillers if you are in pain, extreme pain by the sounds of it. You've never been addicted to meds before that could give them a different line of thought??

• Posted

Scott thank u for your quick reply, and it sounds like u know exactly what I'm talking about. Let me answer your questions first. No I am not in the UK, I am in Connecticut in the USA, no I have never had an addiction issue even when I was on morphine right after my first surgery, and my primary care physician WAS prescribing pain meds but only until I was seen by a new neurosurgeon(my previous dr retired) because pain management is not his specialty. Upon meeting my Neurosurgeon he went on to give his opinion that I was inevitably going to have to have another back surgery this time focusing on my "good side" and hip but that his policy was to not prescribe pain meds unless surgery was imminent!! I don't know what to do or where to go at this point, as I am finding it increasingly difficult to b active in my life. Making the situation worse is that I am limited by the physicians I can see as I have government healthcare. I'm hoping that someone has a solution to this, because I can totally understand how people in pain can eventually go crazy!

• Posted

I'm guessing the over the counter pain meds don't touch the pain?

Try and stay as active as you can. Swim. Best for taking the weight off the sore bits. I hate swimming but will start it soon after I see my surgeon.

Best of luck.

• Posted

You have idiot doctors!!! Even MY doctor would give me pain meds. If you can change doctors!!! That's rediculous!!! I'm sorry they fused you I'm very skeptical of doctors telling me stuff like that. Always go with your heart and if you feel there is a possible better solution get a second or third opinion! I'm really sorry your in pain!!

this may sound crazy but there are healers out there that can "possibly" cure you. Search them out online. They are similar to psychics. I know that sounds far fetched but its true. Just trying cant hurt. worst outcome your condition don't change best it gets a lot better. Hope that helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.