PLEASE someone shed some light

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 26 year old woman and believe I've always been an IBS sufferer, most noticeably since Jan 2018. Jan to June 2018 I became VERY sensitive to coffee, tea, chocolate and onions garlic tomatoes etc. However, as of August 2018 - May 2019 I recovered from an inconsistent few months as I moved out thus basically not eating what my gut-strong relatives were eating. I could eat onion, garlic, tomatoes and I was perfect every time. All this year I've more or less been eating everything I want with the exception being coffee from outside, where id suffer with cramps then get d*. BUT. queue fingernail infection which wouldn't go and I caved and took only THREE doses of Flucloaxillin on may 5. big big big mistake, from the first dose I had d* and by my second I had water d* which was uncomfortable, painful and had me up all night. I stopped taking it immediately and tried yoghurt for six days. unfortunately this seemed to irritate me more and 2, 3 weeks on I still had terrible d* along with bad gas and cramps. One month ago I became a full time beige eater. white bread, pasta, some couscous and weirdly dry cookies. No fizzies although weirdly cider never upsets me unless I'm constipated... I've seen improvement but ONLY cos my life is starch. As a result I have slight constipation which is then followed by d*. Seven visits to the doctor finally won me a pointless general blood test and a H.pylori one next week , one doc told me it's ibs but I have never in my life had a two month flare. My stools look and feel normal if I keep to potato, pasta and bread but today I had a boiled egg and wholemeal bread and my gas was absolutely HORRIFIC. so, my question is, can three doses of antibiotic really have this much of a severe reaction? I'm currently living on edge as I'm only allowed 5 foods. Should also mention there's days where I have Doritos, cookies and I'll be fine so long as I'm constipated. Anyone had this minor hell?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

im no doctor , but what i do know is that antibiotics put you at an increased risk for c. diff. id suggest looking into it if i were you.. This could definitely be your problem. im on a course of antibiotics right now for strep throat and it feels like ive been punched in the stomach. but no watery diarrhea. They often warn people about watery diarrhea when taking antibiotics .

• Posted

Sounds like IBS. I have had a three month flare up. It can last days, weeks or months and everyone has different symptoms. Believe your doctor. Keep a food diary or try Low Fodmap. Ask for an anti spasmodic and try lots of fruit for constipation and Imodium for diarrhoea.

• Posted

did you ever take antibiotics then get symptoms? I've never had d* this consistent before although I did suffer before them with constipation... I had normal stools for the past two days so it would make sense

• Posted

I have never had the symptoms you describe after antibiotics. It may be the antibiotic stripped out the good gut bacteria and this has disturbed your intestine. Try some probiotics to restore good gut flora. With IBS, some people get diarrhoea only or constipation or a mixture of both. Symptoms can change over time as a response to diet or stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.