Please tell me there's a cure for eustachian tube dysfuntion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been dealing with eustachian tube dysfunction for 2 months now after visiting family over the holidays while having a head cold and flying on a plane.

My ears continually plug up, having feelings of pressure in my head, mucus stuck in my throat, tightness in neck and upper shoulder mostly when ears are plugged.

I am hoping to see a ENT soon, waiting for an appointment opening.

I purchased the Otovent device, and have been using it occasionally. Not sure if it actually works or if I need to be more consistent with it.

My daily life and routine has been turned upside down because of this.. I don't look sick but feel awful, especially when it feels like my head is in a vice and my ears pop and plug constantly.

I did go to urgent care after my visit/flight. Was diagnosed with sinusitus and eustachian tube dysfunction. Urgent Care doctor said it may take a few months to clear up, but after reading some of these posts I am horrified with what I am reading. Chronic, long term, no cure, live with it diagnosis....

Help...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I find steroid sprays help but I have good and bad days. Consultant told me again this week no cure and to live with it 😦 it's been nearly 2 years. Sorry not much help

• Posted

My ETD has been going on since the late 60's after flying home from Hawaii with a bad cold !

Flew home from Boston with a cold last fall and things really got worse. Pressure and fluid in my middle ear. Had a myringotomy. Still have the fluid. Popping, squishing, when blow nose. Then ear blocks up. Beyond irritating.

I've tried tubes, sprays, neti pot, you name it. Finally had Eustacian Tube Balloon Dilation..two weeks ago. Still swollen and still have fluid in my middle ear which is discouraging !

I use Flonase and Saline spray plus neti pot. Have bad allergies so use Allegra. Only use Afrin if I"m desperate ! It has a rebound problem.

It is a challenge, but things could be worse.. my husband's best friend was just diagnosed with ALS.

Gotta live each day as best as we can.

• Posted

Do you have an ENT that you see? I can't believe there aren't more options for relief.

Do you have pressure in your head when your ears plug up? Have you heard of the Otovent Device?

• Posted

I'm afraid to say I cant be much help but it's a relief to see you mention the neck and shoulder stiffness. Mine started on the right when my right ear started to feel bad and then when my left ear got bad I had the neck tension a bit in my left side of my neck. I saw a doctor and it turned out I had a double ear infection (redness inside, swollen eardrums) and a week of antibiotics got rid of that but I've been left with blocked uncomfortable ears and a horrible pressure feeling in my head. the tight neck feeling also hasn't gone away but just seems to be on the right side where it all started. its driving me mad but it's a relief to see I'm not going mad because I've looked online etc and nowhere else seems to mention it. I hope you get relief from your problems soon!

• Posted

hi hi. I read good things about balloon dilation. But I wonder how the tubes stay open after dilation because they always close back up after I blow them out manually by holding my nose

• Posted

hi hi. I read good things about balloon dilation. But I wonder how the tubes stay open after dilation because they always close back up after I blow them out manually by holding my nose

• Posted

• Posted

i had dilation 3 months agonot much change  i think it is because i have such bad allergiesit is what my EnT SAYS TO COVER WHY IM DISAPPOINTED HE SAYS MY Et is open but full of gunk due to bad allergy season i do hope flying is easier

• Posted

i am 100% convinced that neck spasms are related had a bad whiplash ansd spasms at base of skull on right that is EtD SIDE AND STUFFY NOSTRIL SIDE MAKRES SENSE WHEN MUSCLES GET TIGHT EAR HURTS ( TENSOR VELI MUSCE OPERATED THE ET)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.