Please tell me this is normal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I increased citalopram from 20mg to 30mg 10 weeks ago now, everything seemed to be going okay up until this past week I'm having daily palpatations and they are making me really anxious, nothing has happened in life to cause them Infact things are okay right now so I can't understand why I'm getting them I thought after 10 weeks on the increase that the meds wouldn't cause any issues but here I am with this horrible feeling you get when your start having palpatations the panic and fear something is wrong please tell me it's normal to be feeling this way 10 weeks down the line.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry I can't answer your question just wondering if u could help me I've been on 20mg for 13 weeks and still have anxiety and intrusive thoughts/negative thought did you have this problem ? If so did it get better when u upped dose ?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi there

I was on 20mg from mid September 2015-December 2015 the first few weeks were full of horrible side effects, mid November I started feeling fine although very tired. By December though the anxiety was creeping up again, having negative thoughts, feeling really down and grizzly so I went back to my GP because I'd been on 20mg a while I wanted to see what he would advise, explained how I was feeling and they decided to up my meds to 30mg which I did the end of December the change was fine no side effects for me gradually started feeling fine again after about 5 weeks and been okay up until this past week where the palpatations and panic have started again. I know everybody's experience is different though maybe have a chat with your GP explain how your feeling and see what they suggest. I'm going to give myself another week and if no better I'm going back too I'm also on the waiting list for CBT which I'm hoping will help alongside the medication 😊

• Posted

Recovery comes in waves, so it's normal to be up and down for a while yet. Sometimes you may feel you're back at the start with symptoms / side effects raising their ugly head again.  

Recovery can take a very very long time, and you'll feel like you're on a roller coaster at times.

It'll settle in time. xx

• Posted

Go back to 20 mgs; 30 mgs is now known to cause changes in your heart contractions.....in fact it is now warned for seniors not to go that high.

If necessary, cut your meds in half.  and you will be ok

• Posted

thanks for your input I have considered reducing again in all honesty. I think I'm going to make an appointment with my GP Monday morning and discuss doing this because I don't recall having palpatations whilst on the 20mg I most definitely had them before starting meds but they stopped after few weeks I just had a feeling of being on edge and having negative thoughts and feeling down maybe I should have given the 20mg a bit more time or maybe like Kate says give the 30mg more time because recovery can take a long time definitely book an appointment Monday I really wish my counselling would hurry up too I just feel alone with only the meds right now and left to it, thank god for this forum 😊
    • Posted

Hi beckai

Sorry to here your having a bad time my problem iscnegative thoughts and anxiety it's so frustrating I've been on 20mg for 12 weeks and still suffering from them I was thinking about going up to 30mg in next few weeks if they do carm down but that what I'm scared of things getting worse 😃

• Posted

I ve taken it for a long time and I am discontinuing it. I have 4 college degrees in psychology and I do a lot of research.Type in celexa side effects and you will get warnings of doses over 20 MGS for seniors -it affects the heartbeat...again,.. if you too have anxiety,..ask your doctor for 0.5 mgs of clonazepam to relax....cheers from Canada.
    • Posted

Here in the UK the maximum dose used to be 60mg but this was lowered to a maximum of 40mg back in 2012.  The news was based on drug safety advice issued in October 2011 by the UK’s drug regulator about the antidepressant drugs Citalopram.

Your doctor knows all about the safety of any medications and don't worry because you're in safe hands.  All meds have their downside, and all are harmful if not taken correctly ... even paracetamol.

Dont worry about this.  You don't need to have this added to your anxiety.  The Patient Information Leaflet that comes with your meds will give you lots of information and speak to your doctor if concerned.

K xx

• Posted

For a senior, there are new warnings of effects on the heart on doses over 20 mgs- you want to die in your sleep?  Younger people can take more but you wil still get palpitations, etc.....and,....most GP's know nothing about these drugs except what the pharma salesmen tell them; they didn't study it in med school.

• Posted

Yes it does say in the Patient Information Leaflet that elderly patients must not take more than 20mg.  How elderly do the mean though?  Doctors know their patients and how elderly or frail they seem so would advise.  Most people here seem to be middle aged to younger.

K x

• Posted

To be safe,...60 plus years old,....don't take more than 20 mgs.redface
    • Posted

Hope that is being over cautious as 60 years old to me is middle aged haha!  Elderly is more like 80 plus.  cheesygrin❤️  

eeek

• Posted

All your fears anxiety, etc are shared by millions around the world; me too. there are good days and bad., Celexa sometimes makes you feel better. Ask Monday for some 0.5 mg clonazepam for your fears and anxiety. Reducing your celexa right now will be ok.,..and the palpitations will be gone; the celexa causes it. Get a counsellor too to talk about your life and what has caused the anxiety, etc. Cheers from Canada.
    • Posted

Clonazepam ( klonopin, rivotril) is extremely addictive. Benzodiazepines are only for temperary use, infact in Scandinavia doctors are only allowed to prescribe z drugs ( zolpidem) for 14 days at a time and benzodiazepines for a period of 30 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.