please tips and advice on colonscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im new here and set to have my 2nd colonoscopy at the end of a very long and stressful week

one out of many issues is dealing with the prep which totally takes the whole week except for one day

the app is set for  Fri--Wed at 5pm Im supposed to take one poop pill--and then thursday afternoon at 3pm another one and at 5pm start the gag drink

now somethings come up for thursday morning so my questions are do this pill start to work  right away  I would hope  to be able to skip this one since all what I have to do seems a bit like overkill

last time I had to drink the gag drink once late morning and once early evening--so by the time I wanted to go to bed I was set--this time I have to get up at 230 am and finish it and hope its all out of me by 830am plus take the 2 pills

has anyone else had to do this much just to get a hose shoved up the arse

Im sure as you can tell Im in no mood for any of this--I told my husband hes to stay with me front start to finish---well see how far that goes

thanks for any tips or advice on this--cant wait till friday

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There isn’t a written law that says you have to have this done. It’s a barbaric test to begin with and the prep makes it even more so.
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy a few days ago.  The day before I needed to eat a light lunch from the suggestions I was given and nothing more to eat after 1pm.  Then at 7pm first dose of the prep and the next dose was at 6am the following morning.  My colonoscopy was at 1 pm the same day.

Your prep seems a long one compared to the one I had. Nevertheless it’s not the nicest of things to take.

• Posted

Why are you having the colonoscopy in the first place - is there some medical reason?  In the UK it only gets done if there is a medical reason.  Routine testing is by stool sample.  If you have to have it done suggest you cancel what's come up on Thursday - nothing is more important than your health. 

My prep took 5 days - 3 on a low residue diet, 2 on fluids only, then 2 lots of "gag".  I sat on the loo for 6 hours from 20 minutes after the first mouthful at 6pm, going every few minutes, until trying to sleep, but getting up every 20 minutes.  2nd lot at 6am, and another 8 hours on the loo.  Transport to the hospital via public toilets.  Kept hanging around for over 2 hours, last person to be seen, then procedure aborted after 5 minutes.  Bundled out of door by staff desperate to get home - come back next week after you've been through it all again.  Or how to lose 10 pounds in 8 days.  Net result - no sign of cancer, just severe Diverticular Disease.  So yes, I had to have mine done.  BUT a CT scan is far less invasive, unless you need to have biopsies or polyps removed.

• Posted

Strange how the prep varies from hospital to hospital... my prep is just for the 2 days up to and including the day of the test. Although I had to stop iron tablets a week before. The prep I admit is horrible ..in this day and age you would think there would be something more advanced than the prep/colonoscopy. What about the pill camera you swallow that doesn`t need a prep. I`m going to ask about that for next time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.