Pleurisy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i have found this forum very helpful. I had pleurisy in December, started with pain in my right shoulder blade and my right rib. Six weeks on I am still suffering with extreme pain, I have had a chest Xray and all is clear but the pain hasnt got any easier. I am constantly out of breath and very tired all the time. The pain is still constant around my right shoulderblade and across my back and also under my armpit. I have been for an MRI Scan today to see if that shows anything but I have to wait another 2 weeks for the results. Its just nice to know Im not the only one suffering cry

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi susanne13210 your symptoms are pretty much mirroring mines I was back at gp this week ,different one, she said jst continue taking painkillers and give it another couple of weeks to settle and return in two weeks if no better.thats it same advice from them all and really not very reassuring is it.get that Vick slapped on your lungs and chest each day lol it will give you some releif im not kidding,I went for3 days without doing it and lungs were killing again.also get chicken portion with bone in and boil up some chicken stock with carrots onions some red lentils to thicken and plenty black pepper it'll really help soothe your chest and break up mucus.yes old fashioned I know but our so called modern remedies are doing no good whatsoever.if you cook the soup for around an hour it'll get all the goodness into the stock ,great for flus too.good luck everyone and post your old remedies they're not all old wives tales.x
  • Posted

Hi, i have exactly the same symptoms as you also Suzanne. Six weeks on i feel reasonably well but have constant pain in my right shoulder when breathing in, sneezing, coughing or even certain movement. I also feel very tired a lot which is very unusual for me. Its great to read this forum as ive been worrying a lot about the ongoing pain. I had pleurisy in 2006 and 2007 also but did not have this lingering pain. Its terrible. Are you feeling any better now?
    • Posted

Hi no i still have the pain, i went for a CT Aneurysym scan last monday, checking for any blood clots so just waiting the resulst, but im still in constant pain and feeling very tired.

• Posted

Oh no sorry to hear that. Its very difficult feeling that way all of the time. I think its hard to explain it to someone who hasnt had it. Maybe your scan might shed some light on the situation.
  • Posted

Some of my friends Suzanne have had same as you and they have had it for 6 weeks plus the only thing they recommend is plenty of rest.....I can't stand the coughing up of the blood I have never had a pain like it it's excruitiating but the old frightens me.....hope you get well soon Pat
  • Posted

Some of my friends Suzanne have had same as you and they have had it for 6 weeks plus the only thing they recommend is plenty of rest.....I can't stand the coughing up of the blood I have never had a pain like it it's excruitiating but the old frightens me.....hope you get well soon Pat
  • Posted

• Posted

Hi i have been unwell since December just started off as an normal cold then went into a chest infection i left it for a couple of days cos thought it would go away. I have ashma witch is bad but controled my breathing got bad so went to my gp to witch she said i had a chest infection so got put on amoxacillin for a week but to go back in 48 hours if i was not right. 2 days later went back cos i felt like i was getting worse so she put me on 2 amoxicillin 3 times a day and said to come back 48 hours later. Well by then i could not breath and i was in so much pain in my left lung so got an appointment with gp again took one look and sent me to hospital. I spent one night in hospital getting test done x-ray blood test and ecg done. Got sent home eith more antibiotics and said it was my ashma had flird up. For a week i did not feel like i was getting any better so wen back to gps witch they took my oxygen level and heart rate it was going at 130 witch the doc said thats not right so he sent me back to hospital for test again and put me on nebulisers to help me breath spent a night again in hospital doc told me i have pluraisy so went home with pain killers and said it will take 10-12 day to get better so i thought good will be on the mend soon. Now by 2weeks later i was not any better went back to gps said something is not right and sent me to the hospital again for the 3rd time but this time they done more x-ray and 2 CT scans and spent 4 days in hospital. The pain i had and still have 4 months down the line is like a stabbing pain can not work been off 4 monthss now cant walk far with out being brethless all the time and in so much pain. Can some one tell me dose the pain go away pain killers are not helping and the doctor thinks its just muscular. I have the concoltant on friday so hope i can get some answers to wat it is i am getting very fed up with myself cos i am usual healthy . I just cant belive its taken this long 😢😢😢😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.