Pleurisy and general unwellness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I started off around November time with a cough which kept coming and going. Around Christmas time I went to the doctors with a cough and sore throat, I wouldn’t usually have gone but as it was recurring I thought it was best to get checked out to ensure it wasn’t an underlying issue. The doctors diagnosed me with tonsillitis and prescribed me with penicillin and said blood tests had to be done at the beginning of January. After finishing my course of penicillin I was feeling a lot better, went for my blood tests which came back clear. It was around the beginning of February when I then became unwell again with a sore throat and the same cough so I went back to the doctors where they ran a mouth swab which came back clear and prescribed me with more antibiotics which didn’t seem to help. I then became worse and worse as I started throwing up, heavily fatigued. I’m a young adult who has horses so I have quite a demanding lifestyle which requires good fitness so back to the doctors I went where they sent me for more blood tests because quite frankly they didn’t know what was wrong with me. I began taking my third course of antibiotics and my blood tests came back showing high levels of crp so the doctors wanted more tests to be done. It got to the beginning of March and I was still no better, if anything worse. I developed a pain on the left side of my chest which got so bad I couldn’t ride my horses, cough or breathe without being in pain. I went lightheaded and dizzy and struggled to stay awake as I was so fatigued. I went to the hospital to see if I could finally get some answers where they ran three more blood tests, sent me for a chest x-ray and hooked me upto a heart monitor. 6 hours after waiting in hospital they confirmed that I had a undiagnosed chest infection leaving me with pleurisy and that I should recover within six weeks with another set of pain killers. It’s now coming upto ten weeks later and I still have slight pain in my chest and ribs, and I am still coughing with a recurring sore throat. I wondered if anyone else had suffered anything similar and can advise anything? Sorry for such a long post. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello there Olivia - Yes from over here.  Had several months of pleurisy, thought I was never going to throw it off.   Was hospitalised.  Put on oxygen and also cortisone inhalant - horrible reactions to the cortisone, was  found to be a responder, and now cannot touch cortisone.  Am left with some scarring of the lungs.

I have developed adult asthma and COPD - say the GPs, but me, am not too sure of that / those Dxs !!  Have had a couple of bouts of severe bronchitis / pneumonia.  Did require antibiotics.  Said 'No' to inhalants.  It was a long'ish haul.

Then it became a case of 'down to me' to get me through.  Careful to keep to a good diet.  Took a variety of supplements.  Breathing exercises.   Doing fairly good now - except for hay fever !

Dunno if this has helped.  But know what you are going through.  Take care, don't forget to breath - intercostal diaphragmatic.  Seeing a physio might help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.