PLEURISY DURATION

Posted , 43 users are following.

I HAVE HAD PLEURISY SINCE THE END OF DECEMBER 2007. I HAVE BEEN ON 3 ROUNDS OF PREDNISONE, 2 ROUNDS OF BIAXIN, BREATHING TREATMENTS, NSAID'S, LIDODERM PATCHES (WHICH DIDNT HELP THE PAIN) AND TRAMADOL. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH TRAMADOL IS THAT I HAVE TO TAKE SO MANY A DAY, SOMETIMES 7 OR 8, MAYBE 9. THE PAIN IS SO INTENSE. MY DOCTOR SAYS IF I AM NOT BETTER TO COME BACK IN THIS THURSDAY AND ALSO SAID I AM TAKING TOO MANY TRAMADOL AND NEED TO WEAN AWAY FROM THEM. OF COURSE, I HAVE TO REMEMBER HE IS NOT THE ONE IN PAIN, I AM. I AM SICK OF THIS AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I WOULD BE BETTER OFF TAKING LORTAB OR SOMETHING STRONGER SO AT LEAST I WOULD NOT BE TAKING SO MANY A DAY BUT HE WILL NOT PRESCRIBE THAT, TRAMADOL IS THE STRONGEST THING HE WILL GIVE. I AM AFRAID HE THINKS I JUST WANT PAIN MEDS WHEN IN ACTUALITY I JUST WANT TO BE RID OF THIS PLEURISY. SURELY THESE DOCTORS HAVE TO KNOW IT CAN LAST MONTHS AND THAT IT IS EXTREMELY PAINFUL. SHOULD I GO TO ANOTHER DOCTOR? I AM AT MY WITS END WITH THIS. I HATE EVEN HAVING TO TAKE THE PAIN MEDS BECAUSE I STAY SICK AT MY STOMACH ALOT AND HAVE NAUSEA FREQUENTLY. I HAVE NEVER HAD PLEURISY THIS BAD AND I AM HAVING TO WORK. WHAT I AM AFRAID OF IS THAT HE WILL TAKE ME OFF THE PAIN MEDS AND I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK BECAUSE OF THE INTENSITY OF THE PAIN. ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAINFUL 24-7

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started having severe pain on the right side of my ribcage one week or so ago. I thought I had a broken rib from coughing so much and so hard for the previous several days. Then the pain spread to include my left ribcage and was the most severe pain I have ever felt, and it does make it extremely hard to cough, sneeze, hiccup or even bend over at the waist! I went to see my pulmonary doctor who did a complete blood count and a chest x-ray. I also was feeling like there was swelling or pressure in the affected areas. Well, since my chest xray didn't really show pleural effusion or any sign of fractured ribs and the cbc was somethat ok, (there were elevated white blood cells) I was completely blown off!!! No pain medicine, just take Tylenol was told and because I am scheduled for a lumpectomy for breast cancer next week, the doctor didn't even prescribe anything! This is awful pain!!! I did find a heating pad helped and I'm not supposed to take any Ibuprofen or Naproxen before my scheduled surgery so I am taking some borrowed Norco (acetaminophen and hydrocodone) which helps a little. I was so upset and crying today because the doctor's office didn't even return my call when I called to let them know that I was still in severe pain and that this had been going on for a week now. I try not to wish bad things on people, but....I bet if they were the ones experiencing this pain that they would be trying to make it stop.I can't imagine this being a permanent part of my life!!

• Posted

I got a cold virus a couple of weeks ago and had a major coughing spell (the most violent I've ever experienced) 9 days ago. Immediately following the coughing spell I had a dull achy feeling in my left lung. A couple of hours later it turned into a very sharp pain in my left lung. I called the Dr on call since it was after hours and described the situation and he told me that I probably pulled some muscles coughing, but I should probably be seen the following morning. Coughing, blowing my nose, and getting a deep breath were excruciating. The next morning I went to my doctor and he diagnosed viral pleurisy and recommended a chest x-ray to rule out Pneumonia. The x-ray came back negative for Pneumonia, but my doctor said that the pain from viral pleurisy could last for 7-10 days. Its been 8 full days and I still have the pain, although it isn't nearly as intense. Hoping it's gone in a couple more days. I'm afraid I may have made it take longer to heal due to the fact that I walked on our treadmill (albeit slowly) and used our rowing machine, also very slowly, but the pain that night was terrible. No more exercise for me for a while until I am pain free. Sleeping on the painful side makes a huge difference, much easier to sleep! Taking Ibuprofen about every 6-8 hours. Rest seems to be the best thing toward healing from this. Hopeful to never get this awful thing again.
    • Posted

Hi rachel,

Your situation is the spitting copy of my situation. Coughing spell then i saw 2 gps that prescribed antibiotics and inhalers. Then i developed the dull ache on the left side of my lower ribs on my back... I then got on my metro home struggling to breath and eventually collapsed in the street. Agonising pain, the ambulance came and they said I'd ruptured my intercostal muscles coughing... well i was seen by the doctors and turns out i actually have pluerisy and pnuemonia. So i feel for you. This happened yesterday after 3-4 weeks ill with 2 chest infections inbetwee n.

• Posted

Hi Rachel. I'm just seeing this thread. I also had viral plursey I got it around Feb 2015, my Dr said it started by throat infection. I had recurring throat infections, plursey it self did not return,the plursey set off other things, something happen to my leg, I was resting and felt something pop in my hip, it was like I lost feeling, it came back within 10- 15mins in trusting to walk on it, my body broke out in gurate psoriasis, I was surprised to have had that, never had that before,it cleared, took about 2-3 weeks, then I got virus in my joints, go said its all connected, my feet are agony to walk. Within the last 6 months I was inconstant pain, I went chiropractor, such a good idea. If I bent to pick something up, or dipped my head down in anyway my body throbbed, I thought this was normal because my go said, " you will be sore for the next year". I came on so much, I done loafs of sessions going to chiropractor, I went back to Dr asked to be sent to phyiso, she gave me excersies, really helped, because there small area that just so sore and never healed. Physio recommend me to get out and walk also, and since I'm swimmer, to go back to the pool. She also recommended that yoga would be a good excersie. Are you OK as your story you wrote about a year ago, which was what I also had around the same time. If anyone reading this experienced that small area of pain left from having plursey, knows advise on that. I do my excersies I'm still, do I just need to be a little patient. I'm carer .
  • Posted

@ Frittlengen. Are you any better? I hope so! All I can offer is that REST seems to be the key. It takes a long time to heal and the more active you are, the more the pain persists. On the other hand, apparently some gentle walking is good to help ones lungs expand and to keep the circulation going. I've had this for 3 months and 3 weeks and finally feel somewhat better. The pain is still there but much more manageable, more like a sensation than the hot, stabbing knife I had experienced. Hope everyone else on here has healed well or is in the process.
  • Posted

@Cindy0619 I just wondered if you have had your surgery and how you are doing. About the Dr. not calling back, I would INSIST. You are in pain. You deserve to be paid attention to when this happens. Hope you feel better by now.
  • Posted

In reply to janni 79600: The pain with coughing finally subsided enough that I was able to have the lumpectomy and then I was in pain from that too but had an RX for pain medicine, Hydrocodone, plus I started using a heating pad which helped tremendously. The Dr called back later I the week before my surgery because I did call his office a couple of more times about the pain and he apologized saying it wasn't made clear to him before about the severity of my pain so he ordered a Cat scan with contrast to rule out pneumonia or blood clots. I guess I am happy to say that nothing really bad was seen on xray or the CT scan. But the Dr never even said the word pleurisy which I find extremely curious since it hurt worse than any pain I've ever experienced.

So as of today I am feeling ok but there is still residual pain in the same areas but very mild. I think it was definitely pleurisy brought on by whatever was making me cough so violently. Thanks for asking. Also, I pray that it won't ever happen again and I plan to find a different Dr!

• Posted

I'm glad to hear this Cindy0619. I was beginning to wonder if anyone on this site had ever gotten over it since mine has lasted so long. Hopefully, YES! I'm glad you are feeling better.
  • Posted

I agree with so many others.PLEURISY truly sucks. I am currently going through testing. I began to have symptoms FEB. I had left for spring break for a week and noticed relief, but I was also doing nothing during that time. When I returned and attempted to go back to work my symptoms continued to show. The worst is extreme fatigue. Has anyone else suffered from this!!?!?!?!?!?! The pain is bad, but I have been forced to leave work early due to exhaustion. Anyway I was curious to hopefully find relief from others if they were experiencing the fatigue and lethargic like I am. Please respond.
    • Posted

Hi!, Yes I did notice increased fatigue at the height of my experience with this truly awful, painful condition.  Mine came on after coughing really hard and often for about a week, then it lasted at least another 2 weeks, and now, about 6 weeks from the start of it, I still have some pain at times in those lung/rib areas.  It knocks you down for sure!
    • Posted

Danny, I've had it since March 17thafter a violent coughing spell from a cold virus I had.  Like you, I have also experienced extreme fatigue.  The pain is much less severe than in the first week, so I have carried on with my life, going to work and everything else, but I do fall asleep on the couch after dinner every night and often go right to bed after that with no trouble getting to sleep once I'm in bed.  It really is debilitating.  I'm in my 4th week and the pain continues to slowly decrease, so that's good news.  Hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

Yes, I also experienced extreme lethargy and exhaustion. I would break out in a cold sweat if I did anything that caused exertion. After several months of resting (!) and obeying Drs. orders, I believe my energy level is almost back to normal. It does take time, apparently. Hope you feel better now.
  • Posted

I wrote a few weeks ago when I was on my 8th day of viral pleurisy.  I am now in my 4th week and still feel pain.  It doesn't interfere with my daily function, but it is concerning to have the pain last for so long, even if it is less severe than in the beginning.  I think that I might have made it take longer for mine to heal because I tried walking uphill on our treadmill for exercise a few times.  I also continued on with my busy life, rather than resting.  Hopefully the pain will disappear soon.  It would be nice to be able to sneeze again without fearing I'm going to hurt myself.
    • Posted

Hi, Rachel, 

I hope you are feeling better by now. It is concerning when one feels sick for such a long time.  Resting seemed to be the key to my improving, although I have to say, the pain is still there.  It is mild but still present. If you don't continue to improve, maybe another visit to the Dr. is in order. 

• Posted

Yep I agree definitely visit the doc.  In my case Ibruprohen lowered my fever.  Strong penicillin calmed the symptoms.  Also 'in my case' re my Chinese medicine investigations, I've added mustard to my diet and ginger root.  My insides according my case are damp and cold, and ginger and mustard are classified as warming... fwiw

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.