Pls help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have recently moved to a flat after living with my dad my benefits are still under my dad's address pip and esa because of my mental health he deals with my benefits forms etc I have to have a member of my family stay with me at all times either in mine or I stay in there homes do I need to change my address and will it effect my claim all help appreciated

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi for address, yes you have to change it to your new address and if you don't they "could" suspend your benefits, even if you continue to allow your post to be sent to your dad's address if yours is an unsafe Postal address you still have to submit a change of circumstances to everyone you are receiving mail from.

It shouldn't effect you payments but I wouldn't swear to it 🤣

• Posted

Hi,

Moving house could affect your benefits yes. As you were originally living with your dad then you most likely weren't claiming any housing benefit?

Now you're living alone (even though you need someone with you) if you need to claim housing benefit to pay the rent then depending on what's in the area you've moved to will depend what you have to claim.

If the area you've moved to is a full Universal Credit area and you have to claim housing benefit then you won't be able to claim this. It would be Universal Credit you'll have to claim. If you have to claim UC then your ESA will stop and your money will transfer to UC instead. UC has replaced all the means tested benefits. You'll need to check what's in your area by googling Universal credit check and popping your new post code into this. It will tell you what's in your area.

If your area isn't a full Universal credit area then it will be just a change of address but because your dad is your appointee then he will have to ring DWP and not you. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.