Pls help need unanswered questions looking at by professional

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi thanks in advance for looking, long story but will keep as short as poss.

my dad died in hospital in May 15 he had emphasemea and COPD, he went down on the 4th May and was admitted as his sats were to high without him knowing, dad suffered a heart attack and he was resussed that day.

anyway they put him on a ventilator for 8 days each day telling me he was likely to die no matter what they did, I refused to believe this and carried on hoping, on day 9 in hospital they took him off the ventilator and he was breathing himself with oxy mask unaided in bed another transition I was told he was unlikely to survive but did, once breathing on his own I was told he was being moved to high dependency ward and then even better a low depandancy ward.

the very day after they took him off ventilator I was amazed to go and see him and he never had any oxy mask on all day which at the time amazed me, 

dad detiriated that day and they put him back on a full face ventilator like a scuba diving mask, he lost his life the day after.

what I want to know for peace of mind is why would the hospital let him lie there all day with no oxy mask at all after being on a life support machine for 8days prior when his very problem is lack of oxygen ?? in hind site it can't help thinking this contributed to his decline?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I also want to point out a post Morton revealed inconclusive and they have now sent tissue samples off for histology tests  from dad's lungs ?

dads very problem was oxygen it doesn't make any sense at all

pls help me put my mind to rest 

• Posted

Hi Steve  I'm sorry but I don't have the answers for you but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you for the loss of your dad, my mum also has COPD  and everyday I wonder how she is and how she's coping I believe she has the early stages of dementia so she does not seem like my mum anymore, she refuses all help from outsiders and and even the family if it's not what she wants to hear. I am sure it's hit and miss with these hospitals some are good others not so but keep on asking questions as to his treatment otherwise you will always be questioning their decisions it seems obvious to me that to leave him with no ventilator was not the right thing to do once again my thoughts are with you.
    • Posted

Thanks sue I will never let this rest we not even had a cause of death yet but I will get to the bottom of it for dads sake I miss him terribly 

Thankyou and all the very best steve

• Posted

I hope this helps. My mum died 2 years ago in hospital. She had copd and empythsema. A year previously to her dieing she had a heart attack through the copd and her low sats. This time when she was taken in to hospital for some reason I new she wasn't coming out. She also was put on that mask machine it helped for a few days. Then she got worse. I asked why she had got worse apparently I was told she was critically ill and she had to fight to get better. She seemed to pick up for a couple of days then she went down hill again. Two days before she died we was called in to the hospital the early hours of the morning as her levels had dropped dangerously low. We was then told that they had done everything for her and the dignified thing would be to stop the treatment. We agreed to stop the treatment. She was still kept on oxygen and pain relief.  2 days later she passed away. The one time I had left the hospital and I wasn't there when she died my sister was. I took my mums death very hard but looking back we done the kindness thing for her she couldn't fight anymore. I believe she new that her time had come bless her.

Keep strong I know it hard time is a great healer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.