plumanary test normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am new to COPD? My lung function as normal, but chest xray showed mild COPD. Doctor put me on Introvent, and predisone . Now the doctor wants to add Advair, I am having an uncomfortable throat, feels kinda of swollen, and worried i have been diagnosed incorrectly. Any help would be welcomed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is this also spelt predNisone?  I've found both spellings on the internet but it seems to be the same medication and is cortisone.   If you're using it as a spray (which I do in the form of Symbicort) you need to be VERY careful about rinsing your mouth out thoroughly after each use or you'll end up with thrush, which may be the problem with your throat.

Some of the information on the internet about longterm use of this medication seems a bit worrying and I'm wondering why it's been prescribed if your COPD is mild and your lung function normal.   I've never heard of anyone with normal lung function in COPD:  in fact the spirometry test for lung function is almost always how the initial diagnosis is made, not with an x-ray.

• Posted

Jeana, I am certain that you have had the 'Pulmonary Function Test' taken before your X-Ray? I think  you state it in your title on this posting, and by also stating that your lung function is normal, which is in your content of this posting. Chest X-Ray came next?

Anyhow, if you have not had the PFT given to you, please do so, before having the doctor put you on the medications you were prescribed. If you are normal, why take anything until symptoms show, which never may show?

Congratulations if you have normal lung function! :-)

• Posted

Brenda, I had a chest X-ray because of a cough for the past six months. Which they said was mild COPD. Then they did the PFT, which was normal. Thanks for the reply
    • Posted

You are welcome!

That was good they gave you a chest X-ray, possibly looking for pneumonia or something else, and then later gave you the PFT. 

Mild is considered as stage 1, and your lungs are functioning normally.

If you exercise and consume the proper nutritious foods, you could possibly prolong the progressing of copd and live many many years! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.