Plz describe your flares

Posted , 9 users are following.

My RA was recently diagnosed as severe, with no obvious evidence of damage.  While I am usually fairly tolerant of pain, I am finding the constant pain and weakness over the past several months to be debilitating and depressing.  Steroids are not an option for me, and my hands are now useless.  Sulfasal and mex may be helping, though too soon for comparisons.  I am curious to know how much pain other patients experience over the course of this disease.  Should I hope for drastic improvements?  Assuming meds provide relief, will flares be lengthy, debilitating and painful?  Do all your joints flare simultaneously?  Happy stories, anyone?  (I urgently, and perhaps naiively, desire to regain my life.) 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My advice is try what worked for me. Go on a strict anti-inflammatory diet. Start now. Don't believe those who say diet doesn't affect RA, just try it for yourself. Go to a natural health practitioner if you can afford it, if not buy a book or just stop eating grains, legumes, dairy and nightshade vegetables. Eat loads of green veggies and eggs and avoid sugar and processed foods. Take pro-biotics (not sugary dairy stuff but proper supplements) as well as eating sauerkraut. My pain was intense and awful and now it is hardly noticeable, just a bit sore or stiff but nothing to bother me much. I found it easy to give up foods as I would have tried absolutely anything to get my life back. I've been on the diet for a year and I'm quite used to it and prepared to keep it going until I'm sure I don't need to. 

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.