Plz help me figure out if b12 blood tests are low - many neurological symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone,

This is probably a long shot but I have been experiencing many neurological symptoms over the last year. I have seen multiple neurologists, had multiple brain/spine MRIs and bloodwork, and nothing has come to the surface. My next step is a spinal tap as to see if anything there will produce results.

I was reading through my bloodwork from June and saw that my mMalonic Acid was at 53 nmol/L in comparison to normal 87-318. I decided to google it and it said b12 deficiency. However, my Vitamin b12 test was 435 pg/mL in comparison to normal 200-1100.

The symptoms I've been having are tingling/numbness in face, forearms, and shins. My leg is also heavy and makes it hard to walk. My balance has been effected and I was diagnosed with Ménière's disease (which is an inner ear disease causing dizziness/vertigo). My body is very fatigued to where everyday tasks are tiring. 

Does any of this make a difference? Would the doctors have said something about a 53 low Malonic acid?

Thank you!! 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

has your cortisol blood been check, it should be done 8am - 9am
    • Posted

I guess I read it backwards and high levels of MMA mean deficiency.

Can cortisol create these symptoms as well?

• Posted

high or low cortisol can cause a range of symptoms , tiredness for one, there is no harm in getting it check , but make sures its early in the morning 
    • Posted

Thanks. They've done a lot of them so they may have done it already. Who knows.

• Posted

I am not a medically qualified person but having had P.A. for 45 years I would say that your Vitamin b12 test result at 435 pg/mL although flagged as "NORMAL" is, given your neorological symptoms, definitely on the low side.

Do you know what your Folate level is as this is essential to process the B12 that is swilling around in your bloodstream?.

• Posted

I'm 29 years old, btw.

My homocysteine is 6.5 umol/l

Reference Range:< 10.4 umol

Folate is > 24.0 ng/mL

I have to have a spinal tap for possible MS and when I saw the MMA, I thought maybe they missed something B12 wise but I'm not thinking they did.

• Posted

Well as I said I'm not a medically qualified person but if your Folate level is 24.0 ng/mL it's on the high side but that depends on what reference range the lab used.

My last reading was 18.2    ng/ml    range    3.10 – 20.50ng/ml

Maybe you could check with your GP why it is so high.

• Posted

It didn't give me a reference range. Yeah I'll have to ask.

thank you for all your help

• Posted

Hi Clive,

Sorry to bother you again but have you ever paid attention to your other blood test results? I checked mine and I googled what was low and high and every result said it had to do wth B12 deficiency. 

I have low MPV of 6.9    --- ref of 7.4-10.4

I have high MCV of 94    --- ref of 82.0-92.0

Barely low RBC of 4.56. --- ref of 4.6-6.20

High MCH of 31.8           ---  ref of 27.0-31.0

These are ALL related to B12 deficiency. Every single one of them. I also read that high folate can cancel out regular B12 readings. Going back, these results have fluctuated higher or lower but they stayed about the same. 

• Posted

high mcv and mch is connected with low b12
    • Posted

The MCV was 96 at one time. I'm going to ask my neurologist when I see her but I doubt she will say it's related. Oh, and my SED rate is pretty high at 32 with normal high being 20. I read that can be related as well. I'll let y'all know what happens. 

• Posted

It's no bother at all and I wish I was qualified to interpret your results but as I understand it high folate and low B12 actually make the blood cells look "normal" which is possibly why the deficiency is "overlooked".

I really think you need to get your doctor to have another look at your results focussing on the B12.

Have you thought of joining the Pernicious Anaemia Society?  It only costs £20 for a year and they have been known to 'phone "difficult"  doctors on their patient's behalf.

I really do wish you well.

• Posted

I copied your results onto the PA society Health Unblocked community website and one of the administrators commented

"It looks like thrombocytopenia and macrocytic anaemia - both can be caused by a B12 or folate deficiency.

I'd be off to my GP."

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Clive! That was so kind of you to do! I really truly appreciate all of your help. I see my neurologist Monday and I'm going to ask her. I'm not sure if my levels are high/low enough but it's worth a shot asking!

I'm in the US so I'm not sure if I could join the group but I'll look into it after I see what my doc says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.