PMDD or Peri Menopause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had labs done last month and they all came back within normal range for a woman this still menstruating. So I asked my doctor why do I have all of these menopausal symptoms and he said that I was unfortunate enough to have very severe PMS or PMDD symptoms which can be very similar to those seen in menopause. So he prescribed a very low dose of birth control pills to help with the symptoms. We'll see how this goes.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not surprised to hear that. The two issues are real close. In fact-not sure how many women on here this is true for, but I have talked to other ladies and it appears that the ones who had tougher time with PMS or PMDD, are generally the ones having issues that bring us to this forum. Quite a few of my friends that didn't suffer with PMS are gliding right through this journey unscathed.

Peri/Menopause issues seem tougher on me and I did have what I thought was a rough PMS (usually lasted 2 days prior to start of cycle,until last several years where it stretched to almost mid-cycle and on to start of cycle) with the blues, anxiety, bloating and etc.  Ha! If I only knew what the past two years were going to be like......wow PMS was a cake walk-either that or I'm forgetting how bad it was.

I do hope the BC pills help you feel better very quickly Shar!

Annie xx

• Posted

I've had really bad PMS since coming off HRT at the end of January this year.  It's so bad that I get the symptoms 2 weeks before my period is due!  I was never like this when I was on the HRT!  I've also been having peri symptoms for the last 4/5 years.  I've recently had my bloods tested but I suspect, like you, they will come back as 'normal' as I'm still having regular periods even through they are shorter these days.  I'm due to see a gyne on 15 May and I'm hoping to go back on the HRT if only to get rid of the PMS and help with the peri.

May I ask what age your are please?  I'm 51 next month and I don't think I'm anywhere near full menopause as yet but definitely in peri.

Good luck on the birth control pills.

E. x

• Posted

I'm 41. I have had surgery years ago to remove one of my ovaries. They said that would put me in menopause early plus my mother went into it at 40 something. So I just knew that was why i was having these symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.