Pmr and bronchitis

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am really really sick with bronchitis--havent slept in 3 days, both ears draining, slight fever, miserable. going to prompt shortly. im on back end of dsns going to 5. should i increase the pred for a few days? the reason i ask is when i went to er last summer with a bladder infection, both docs said do not increase pred because it lowers your ability to fight infection. thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes - Pred does suppress your immune system....I have no end of infections, coughs, bronchitis etc this last year...though pharmacist did say taking even a low dose of Pred will also help fight chest infection - so figure that one out....lol x

This winters cough virus is a very virulent one in the UK...don't want to alarm you but I still have slight cough since....... November Hope you feel better soon....x

• Posted

If this is not the first time a cold has resulted in bronchitis and/or if you have a history of asthma -- even the allergic kind -- you might want to use a puffer for a few days. I had 2 bronchial infections that started as colds in 2 years. I also had mild allergies with a touch of asthma. My ear-nose-throat doc suggested that I use my puffer 2x / da at the start of the cold and I havent had bronchitis since -- that was more than 5 years ago. Just a thought.....

Wishing you a speedy recovery and some rest, soon!

• Posted

It does seem to depend - pred doesn't make me have any more or worse infections than without as far as I can tell. I'd have thought it might be a good idea to up it a bit - just because infection puts stress on the body and it would normally produce more cortisol. But if severe infections develop and don't clear, then checking with the GP should be a priority.

• Posted

I had a recent visit to the hospital and the consultant put up my dose from 11mg to 15mg for three days. She said that the adrenals produce more cortisone to fight off infection and as the Pred suppresses that activity you need to top up it to help - then go back to your normal doasage.

• Posted

thanks, helps a lot. got to prompt care 2 1/2 hours ago, still waiting. entire room is coughing.

• Posted

nurse practitioner wanted me to go up to 20 for 5 days snd then 10 for next 5 days--i will just go to 10 for a few days and see if i feel a little better. thanks for sharing.

• Posted

hi Twopies.....my daughter had bronchitis a couple months ago, and they actually put her on 20mg.....she'd never taken it before!

just make sure it's not pneumonia which is what happened to me!

good luck

• Posted

thank you! nope, not pneumonia (they checked) but i feel rotten. they have me 20 mg too! said to take it for 5 days, then cut in half for 5 days. but im just gonna do 10 mg for 5 days--dont want to go back to my starting dose. also i have a burst ear drum, feel pretty rough. got antibiotics, ear drops, and prednisone scripts.

• Posted

I'm so sorry Twopies that you feel so crappy! if it's any consolation, my daughter felt just as bad. she did take the whole 20mg (for I think, 10da?)

it helped tremendously. btw.....her's never turned into pneumonia😁

feel better soon!

• Posted

Don't look at it as your starting dose - it is a separate thing, being used for the bronchitis to reduce the inflammation quickly while the abx do their job. They would do just the same for someone not on pred - and you DO need that higher dose for a few days at least.

• Posted

Yes, thanks. but...at 20 mg pred, i didnt sleep at all, i was constipated beyond belief, the blood in my urine was at 25-30 level, i ended up in ER because i couldnt breathe, etc., thats why i dont want to do 20 again--i figured that for me, 10 will do the trick. maybe if im not better in a couple days, i will do the 20?

• Posted

Hey, thanks! If i dont feel better by in a couple days, i just might. im not coughing quite as much today although my draining ear is still a mess. cant see ear doc till late next week at the earliest. will take 3rd antibiotic tonight so hoping to feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.