Pmr and bronchitis saga

Posted , 10 users are following.

I posted a few days ago about my bronchitis, prompt care gave me cefdinir (antibiotic) and prednisone. i have a burst eardrum and bronchitis and sinusitis. my ear is draining and im quite deaf, i mean really deaf. cant see ent for 2 weeks.

after 5 days on cefdinir, i was so dizzy i couldnt walk, afraid i would fall. plus i was nauseated and weak. so i quit the cefdinir after 5 days, it has horrible patient reviews anyway. this morning after skipping last nights dose im still dizzy and woozy, but nothing like yesterday. here is my question: i took 10 mg pred for 5 days, which is what the prompt care doc said to do. today is the day i should drop back to my usual dose of 5 mg. is that what i should do? Or should i stay at 10 for a while longer or should i reduce slowly, say 9, 8, 7, etc. (the prompt care doc knew about pmr, but certainly not the dsns method. im pretty sure she thought pmr lasts a year or two.) thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is OK to drop back to the original dose after being on a higher dose for less than a week - you don't need to do a slow taper. The only query would be whether the illness is likely to make you need a bit more for the moment.

I doubt many doctors know anything about the DSNS - it was developed by patients for patients and shared with a rheumy research group. There are a few rheumies who use similar approaches - but they are few and far between,

• Posted

What worries me is the discontinuation of the antibiotic. This may result in not clearing up the infection and antibiotic resistance. The dizziness is often caused by the infection reaching the balance center in the ears(labrynths). I once had labrynthitis for many months after an infection and got excellent relief from ginger root. As a matter of fact I just had a slight head cold with dizziness and took 1Gm ginger root 2-3 times a day with wonderful results.

• Posted

Thanks! I got a script for augmentin and finished out the dose on that. it too made me terribly dizzy. when i quit, the dizziness went away.

• Posted

Two pies, I you are doing better. Skiing on 5 mg after flare, will start working as an instructor this Wednesday, I am feeling getting my strength and balance back. Thinking positive, stay active with a smile. 🙂

• Posted

good for you, im really glad. been a long ole haul for you; pmr is a slippery slope, isnt it? (pun intended).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.