Pmr and bursitis vs. tendonitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had pmr since 9/16 and am currently at 5 mg. pred, using the dsns method,  last year about this time I developed bursitis in my left hip which got better with physical therapy--mild exercises (very mild), ultrasound and dry needling.  I am allergic to cortisone.  Recently my hip flared up again so I went back to physical therapy--but this time she said I have tendonitis of the hip.  She said the two (bursitis and tenonditis) go hand in hand and sometimes flip back and forth.  Anyone ever heard of that?  I don't do a lot in terms of exercise with my pmr due to bad fatigue, and overall general malaise.  On a good day I can walk 5000 steps in short spurts--certainly better than a year ago.  The physical therapist thinks she can fix me up in a month, and gave me isometric exercises to do.  Anyone else have tendonitis in the hips? Did it get better?  

Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear twocopies, as you are allergic to cortisone do you have trouble with pred as they are both steroids
    • Posted

I had a lot of trouble st the starting doses of 20 mg and then 15mg.  Ended up in er unable to breathe.  

I said I’m allergic to cortisone; intolerant might have been a better choice of words.  With my history of being so intolerant of so many medicines, I have been surprised by my ability to tolerate prednisone as well as I have.

• Posted

I too have bursitis of the left hip and am taking PT core exercises, as opposed to hip exercises, which eliminates side motions that seem to tear an inner groin muscle.  The visiting PT had me holding plank positions and use of a machine which let me lie on my back pushing up and down with my legs which seemed to strengthen the hip muscle.  The new PT instructor, unfamiliar with all my ailments has set me back a bit.  I built up strength but am suffering from maybe too much exercise for my PMR invaded body.  I am considering stopping for a while and getting a more knowledgeable instructor.  I am very interested in hearing of your progress. I have been frustrated  in getting a more specific diagnosis or test for my hip problem.
  • Posted

I forgot to add that my bursitis was shown on an MRI 2015.  I had a couple of steroid shots last year.  I did not want to take this year as I wanted to get off prednisone, currently 7mgs and dropping to 6 1/2.  I was PMR diagnosed Jan 2016 after several painful months.  What tests did you have for your hip problem?  I feel that I have more than "just bursitis." 

• Posted

Will reply later; at er with husband’s allergic reaction to something. 
    • Posted

I'm back--husband was allergic to Alfoos mango rinds, of all things--anaphylactic reaction.  Ok now! (Mango infused rinds were in a new vinegar he ate).

i had complete hip work up 1 1/2 years ago which showed arthritis of the SI joint which doesn't bother me most of the time. The pmr--undiagnosed--was just starting with soreness and stiffness in the hips and groin.  The orthopedic surgeon recommended yoga!  He missed the pmr completely--not that I expected him to know anything about it--but told me to stay away from physical therapy, massage and chiropracty.  (I saw him in July 2016; my pmr became full blown by September of that year.

however with the onset of bursitis, I am back with my physical therapist who, in my opinion, is very knowledgeable.  She has me doing one gentle isometric exercise for my hips, and stair steps--but only 5 a day.  She said that traditional strengthening exercises will tear the tissues which is why she prefers isometrics; and then she has me do only 1/3 of the reps normally recommended,  she does some gentle re-aligning and stretching during our sessions but just a little is all I can tolerate.  I seem to be responding--the bursitis isn't so severe,  time will tell!  

I also have a hip labral tear in my right hip from 2011 that cannot be repaired, thanks to being given inappropriate strengthening exercises from our great clinic in the north--so I'm very cautious about what I will try and who I will trust, quite a journey.  Hang in there, you will get there!

• Posted

Clone her - knowledgeable physios can be SOOOO useful! It is nice to have suggested levels too - much as I'd have said. She wouldn't like to write a short article for you to post would she?????????? :-)

• Posted

Oooops - how rude of me: glad to hear the husband is recovered. I imagine that will put him off fancy vinegars for a while! Wonder what other things will have to be ruled out because of cross-allergies?
    • Posted

I’ll check it out next week when I see her. Thks!
  • Posted

How did you get the labral tear diagnosis, a particular test?  I think I tore something reaching down to pick up my little dog at an odd angle, perhaps causing another problem.  My knee surgeon has injected a steroid shot a couple of times in a hip muscle which seems to help but I would prefer to let it heal if possible.   My good  departed PT thought I had a muscle problem.  Since a previous PT's hip exercises did not help, my GP ordered core exercises which the good PT did, plus considered my other ailments.  Thank you for the bursitis/tendonitis label.  The plank exercises (did side versions as well which are much harder)  were good but I apparently overdid when sternum joint swelled for a week.  I have millions of steps to go up and down every day.and so I started eliminating my cane when going up.  It finally came down to which I preferred to do:  1) continue PT with a new instructor; 2) Take a break and walk to town and back (with my cane) which was my goal.

Thank you for listening.

• Posted

Hey Peggy, my physical therapist is the one who diagnosed the tear by the location of the pain—it was pretty bad.  She sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who confirmed it quickly by examining my range of movement, pressure points, etc.   then he had a specific protocol for her to use which included ultrasound, gentle exercises and eventually dry needling.  She also did light massage and stretches, some which I couldn’t tolerate.  But I did get better after a few months.  

An mri is typically used to diagnose a label tear but I can’t have one due to an implant I had years ago.

I couldn’t go up and down stairs with the tear, too painful. And I didn’t want the cortisone injections either.   All this was before pmr...but as I understand and have read and have been told, it is not unusual to get tears, even microscopic ones, with pmr due to the muscle weakness.  So I try to be careful but like you pointed out, you don’t always have a choice. Hope you get some relief!

• Posted

Thank you Twopies. for your experience and information.  It gives me more knowledge to work on.   Hope your BH ok.    Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.